Moving Particle is Brought to Rest by a Resisting Force

In summary, a particle of mass m kg is initially traveling with a constant velocity u m/s in a horizontal straight line. It is brought to rest by a retarding force of magnitude km(2u-v), where v is the velocity of the particle at any instant and k is a positive constant. To find the distance traveled while v decreases from u to zero, we need to solve the differential equation dv/dt = -k(2u-v) and set v to 0.
jmlibunao

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m kg is traveling in a horizontal straight line with a velocity u m/s. It is brought to rest by means of a resisting force of magnitude km(2u - v), where v is the velocity of the particle at any instant and k is a positive constant.

Find the distance traveled by the particle while v decreases from u top zero

Homework Equations

F = ma
K = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

I think you're also going to need the formula for conservation of energy as well
K1 + E1 = K2 + E2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made this equation F = ma = km(2u - v) and then solved for a as a = k(2u - v)
I tried using the kinematic equation vf = vi + at, where vf = 0 and vi = u and solved for time, t. Then I plugged t into xf = xi + vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2) but I just ended up with an ugly equation filled with variables. I think you have to solve for k but I'm not sure how.

Help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
jmlibunao said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m kg is traveling in a horizontal straight line with a velocity u m/s. It is brought to rest by means of a resisting force of magnitude km(2u - v), where v is the velocity of the particle at any instant and k is a positive constant.

Find the distance traveled by the particle while v decreases from u top zero

Homework Equations

F = ma
K = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

I think you're also going to need the formula for conservation of energy as well
K1 + E1 = K2 + E2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made this equation F = ma = km(2u - v) and then solved for a as a = k(2u - v)
I tried using the kinematic equation vf = vi + at, where vf = 0 and vi = u and solved for time, t. Then I plugged t into xf = xi + vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2) but I just ended up with an ugly equation filled with variables. I think you have to solve for k but I'm not sure how.

Help would be much appreciated!

Those kinematic equations only apply in constant acceleration scenarios. Here, the force (and hence acceleration) is clearly variable.

You need to use calculus for this. First step: try to express ##v## in terms of ##t## by solving a differential equation. Second step: use that to figure out the time when the particle comes to rest. Final step: use integration to figure out the distance traveled in that time.

Thanks for your reply!
I forgot that the kinematic equations are only applicable for constant acceleration.

Curious3141 said:
You need to use calculus for this. First step: try to express v in terms of t by solving a differential equation.

What differential equation are you talking about? dv/dt = k(2u - v) ?? If this is right/wrong, then can you guide me through it? I'm just really having a hard time with this problem.

jmlibunao said:
Thanks for your reply!
I forgot that the kinematic equations are only applicable for constant acceleration.

What differential equation are you talking about? dv/dt = k(2u - v) ?? If this is right/wrong, then can you guide me through it? I'm just really having a hard time with this problem.

Don't forget it's a *retarding* force. Hence the equation should be ##\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt} = -k(2u-v)##. Note the minus sign.

It's a simple ordinary first order differential equation with separable variables - pretty much the most elementary type there is. Have you learned how to solve them? If not, it'll probably take too long (and be ineffective) to instruct you over this forum, so I suggest you do a little reading around the topic.

Don't worry about that. I know how to solve differential equations :)

After solving this I'm going to be setting the velocity to 0, right? Which one, u or v, or does it not matter?

You say "with a velocity u m/s" and then "v is the velocity of the particle at any instant" so "u" is its initial speed and is constant? In that case v(t) is the variable speed and v should be set to 0.

1. What is a moving particle?

A moving particle is an object that is in motion, meaning it is changing its position over time.

2. What is a resisting force?

A resisting force is any force that acts against the motion of a particle. It can be a physical force, such as friction or air resistance, or an opposing force, such as gravity.

3. How does a resisting force bring a moving particle to rest?

A resisting force acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion, slowing it down until it eventually comes to a stop.

4. What factors affect the rate at which a moving particle is brought to rest by a resisting force?

The rate at which a moving particle is brought to rest by a resisting force depends on the magnitude of the resisting force, the mass of the particle, and the initial velocity of the particle.

5. Can a moving particle be brought to rest by a resisting force without coming to a complete stop?

Yes, a moving particle can be brought to rest by a resisting force without coming to a complete stop if the resisting force is not strong enough to completely counteract the particle's motion. This can result in the particle slowing down and reaching a constant velocity, rather than coming to a full stop.