Melting Points as Function of P

In summary, obtaining the melting points of materials in a vacuum can be challenging due to non-equilibrium phase transitions. However, the changes in melting point with pressure are likely negligible at atmospheric pressure. Additionally, the melting point of Teflon, being a polymer, may not have a sharp point but rather a defined viscosity level.
robousy
Hey folks,

I'm trying to obtain the melting points of several materials in a vacuum.

It's pretty straightforward to look up the melting point in 1 atm, but I'm having difficulty doing this in a vacuum.

One material in particular I'm looking at is Teflon.

If anyone can provide any resources, formula or hints on how to do this I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The question bears some problems. First, at least in an ideal vacuum, any material will vapourize sooner or later, so both solid and liquid states are thermodynamically unstable. Hence melting becomes a non-equilibrium phase transition. However, from a practical point of view, I think that the changes in melting point with pressure are negligible between 0 and 1 atmosphere. The slope of the melting curve ##d\ln T/dP =\Delta V/\Delta H##, where ##\Delta V## is the volume change in melting and ##\Delta H## the heat of melting. The volume change being very small leads to the slope also being very small.

Secondly, teflon is a polymer and polymers don't have a sharp melting point. Rather ( I don't remember the details) one defines the melting point as the temperature where the viscosity becomes lower than a predefined (and quite arbitrary) level.

1. What is a melting point?

A melting point is the temperature at which a solid substance changes into its liquid state. It is a physical property that is unique to each substance and can be used to identify and classify different materials.

2. How is melting point affected by pressure?

As pressure increases, the melting point of a substance also increases. This is because increased pressure makes it more difficult for particles to move and break free from their solid structure, requiring a higher temperature to melt.

3. How does the melting point change with different substances?

The melting point varies greatly among different substances. Factors such as molecular weight, intermolecular forces, and crystal structure can all affect the strength of the bonds holding a substance together, and therefore its melting point.

4. What is the significance of studying melting points?

Studying melting points can provide valuable information about the physical and chemical properties of a substance. It can also help in the identification and purification of substances, as well as in the development and testing of new materials and products.

5. How is melting point determined in the laboratory?

In the laboratory, the melting point of a substance is determined by placing a small amount of the substance in a melting point apparatus and heating it gradually while observing for the point at which it changes from solid to liquid. This temperature is recorded as the melting point.