What are some useful tidbits in chemistry that you've learned?

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the author's experience with learning chemistry and how certain bits of knowledge become ingrained in their mind. They plan to update a thread with these useful pieces of information and hope others will contribute as well. The conversation also mentions two examples of useful chemistry knowledge, such as the ability of silver to turn organic halides into excellent leaving groups and the use of Grignard reagents to generate carbanions for nucleophilic additions. The conversation ends with a formula for estimating the ratio of concentrations of HA and A- in an acid solution based on the pH and pKa values.
CrimpJiggler
I've been learning cheistry for a very long time, and I often come across bits of knowledge that becomes permanently engrained in my mind (no revision required) due to the empowering nature of it. I'm going to keep updating this thread every time I remember another one of these things, or come across a new one. I'm hoping other people here will do the same, because I'd love to learn more of these things.

Alright

1.) If you add silver to an organic halide, it binds to the halogen atom, and turns it into an excellent leaving group. When it leaves, the silver halide precipitates out, leaving you with a solution of carbocations.

2.) Grignard reagents let you generate carbanions which you can use as nucleophiles in nucleophilic additions. I know that's basic high school knowledge, but I added it anyway due to how useful it is.They're just the two off the top of my head, I'll have way more when I remember them.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac {[HA]}{[A^-]} = 10^{pK_a-pH}[/tex]

Works for every acid, always. In words - when you are 1 pH unit below pKa ratio of concentrations of HA/A- is 10, when you are 2 pH units below ratio is 100, when pH is 1 unit above pKa ratio is 0.1 and so on. Makes wonders when you try to estimate what ions are present in the acid solution of known pH.

1. What is "Post your useful tidbits"?

"Post your useful tidbits" is a platform where scientists can share small pieces of information, tips, or tricks that may be helpful to others in their field.

2. How can I post my useful tidbits?

To post your useful tidbits, simply create an account on the website and click on the "Submit" button. You can then write your tidbit and submit it for others to see.

3. Can I post multiple tidbits?

Yes, you can post as many tidbits as you'd like. However, we encourage you to only post high-quality and useful information to keep the platform valuable for all users.

4. Are there any guidelines for posting tidbits?

While there are no strict guidelines, we recommend keeping your tidbits concise, relevant, and accurate. Please also refrain from posting any confidential or sensitive information.

5. Can I comment on or upvote other users' tidbits?

Yes, you can leave comments and upvote other users' tidbits to show your appreciation or share additional information. However, we ask that you keep all comments respectful and constructive.