Ripples in the pulsating D.C.

• Thread starter neeraj kaira
  • Start date
In summary, when choosing a capacitor for rectification, you can use the equation C = Q/V = ( I * t )/V, where I is the load current, t is the discharge time, and V is the capacitor ripple voltage. For a bridge rectifier, t is the same as for a full wave rectifier, at 10ms. Capacitors are often used over inductors because they are lighter and less expensive, and also function as a peak detector instead of an averaging filter. However, a filter capacitor is still necessary for load variations.
neeraj kaira
Which value of capacitor should i use in rectification so as to remove the ripples from the pulsating d.c? Having 50 hz 12 volts ..any formula related with ripples and capacitance?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use this equation

C = Q/V = ( I * t )/V

where
I - load current
t - discharge time 1/50Hz (20ms) for half wave rectifier and 1/100Hz (10ms) for full wave rectifier or 1/60Hz and 1/120Hz for countries with 60Hz mains.
V - capacitor ripple voltage

Oh thanks i'll use this formula let's c...

And what's the value of t for bridge rectifier? Same as full wave ?

neeraj kaira said:
And what's the value of t for bridge rectifier? Same as full wave ?
Yes, the same as for full wave.
t = 10ms

This kind of image usually helps to visualize what is going on...

http://macao.communications.museum/images/exhibits/2_16_0_12_eng.png
2_16_0_12_eng.png

Thanks and m one more ques please why we mostly use capacitor filter and inductor not ? Inductor also blocks high frequency waves...its only because capacitor is easy to fabricate in the circuits?

Inductors are comparatively heavy and expensive. They can hum audibly. Also, the capacitor input filter is a peak detector, whereas the inductor is an averaging filter so delivers a lower output voltage for the same transformer voltage input.

You'll still need a filter capacitor to accommdate load variations (to realize a low-impedance), because the inductor has a steady-current characteristic (a high impedance characteristic).

Last edited:
Ok thanks :)

1. What are "Ripples in the pulsating D.C."?

"Ripples in the pulsating D.C." refers to small fluctuations or variations in the direct current (D.C.) electrical signal. These ripples can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in voltage or resistance, and can have a significant impact on the performance of electronic devices.

2. How do ripples in the pulsating D.C. affect electronic devices?

Ripples in the pulsating D.C. can disrupt the smooth flow of electricity and cause malfunctions or errors in electronic devices. They can also put extra strain on components, leading to premature wear and failure.

3. What causes ripples in the pulsating D.C.?

Ripples in the pulsating D.C. can be caused by a number of factors, including fluctuations in the power source, interference from other electrical signals, and imperfect circuit design or components. They can also be introduced during the conversion of AC (alternating current) to DC.

4. Can ripples in the pulsating D.C. be prevented?

In some cases, ripples in the pulsating D.C. can be reduced or eliminated through careful circuit design and component selection. However, they may also be present due to external factors beyond our control, such as fluctuations in the power grid.

5. How can ripples in the pulsating D.C. be measured or detected?

Ripples in the pulsating D.C. can be measured using specialized equipment, such as an oscilloscope, which can detect and display the magnitude and frequency of the ripples. Some electronic devices may also have built-in features for monitoring and measuring ripples in their power supply.