Single-Phase Generator: Troubleshooting Power Output

In summary, it would appear that if each coil was separate and had its own output, then it would be possible to generate electricity; however, if each coil was connected to its neighbour in a ring (like a stator), then the output would be zero. If there were 10 magnets and 10 coils, then each coil would produce an output voltage, but if each coil was independent then it would need to be rectified first.
michael1965
Hi,

Why won't a generator composed of a stator that has 9 coils (each connected to it's neighbour in a ring until line out), and a rotor that has 10 permanent n50 magnets (NSNS...) generate useable electricity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Each coil will generate a different phase. The sum of all the phases is a closed pentagon, so the difference voltage is zero.

So it wouldn't produce a charge?

If the electrons in the wire are excited, then surely a voltage is produced?

michael1965 said:
So it wouldn't produce a charge?

If the electrons in the wire are excited, then surely a voltage is produced?
----
Welcome to PF.
Each coil will generate a different phase. The sum of all the phases is a closed pentagon, so the difference voltage is zero.

What if each coil was separate.

If each coil was separate then each coil would produce an output voltage.
You would need to rectify each independently, then combine them as DC.

With the odd number of 9 coils, there are none that could be combined to sum efficiently by reversing the connections of opposite coil pairs.

I must have been asleep when I posted #2. For “closed pentagon” read “closed regular polygon”.

What if there were 10 magnets, and 10 independent coils?

If the coils are independent then it may actually be better to have 9 coils so one is always generating current. Independent coils require rectification before they are combined.

If 10 magnets and 10 coils then coils can be in series, each then needs to produce less voltage, so it can have less turns of thicker wire. It will produce an AC output.

So, 10 magnets with 9 independent coils would have 90 coils generating a current per turn, whereas 10/10 would have 100 coils generating a current per turn. Both would be AC (?).

You say "If 10 magnets and 10 coils then coils can be in series, each then needs to produce less voltage, so it can have less turns of thicker wire. It will produce an AC output." Why do we want a lower voltage? Why not wind it long and thin, and get a large voltage?

On the subject of AC. If a magnet (n) passes over a coil it will excite the electrons in a wave (U or n?). As the next magnet (S) approaches, the electrons are excited again, this I believe is AC. If I have one single coil and 10 magnets of alternating polarity, then surely this would produce an AC. Similarly, if I have 10 coils and 10 magnets of alternating polarity this would also produce an AC in each coil. So, as long as the magnets are of alternating polarity, the charge produced should be AC, regardless of the number of magnets, the number of coils etc...?

Thanks for answering my questions.

1. What is a single-phase generator?

A single-phase generator is a type of electrical generator that produces a single alternating current (AC) waveform. It is commonly used for small appliances and residential power needs.

2. How does a single-phase generator work?

A single-phase generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through the use of a rotating magnetic field and stationary coils. As the magnetic field rotates, it induces a current in the coils, resulting in the production of electricity.

3. What are some common issues that can affect the power output of a single-phase generator?

Some common issues that can affect the power output of a single-phase generator include a faulty voltage regulator, worn out brushes or slip rings, and a damaged or loose connection in the electrical wiring.

4. How can I troubleshoot power output issues with a single-phase generator?

To troubleshoot power output issues with a single-phase generator, you can start by checking the voltage regulator and replacing it if necessary. You should also inspect the brushes and slip rings for wear and tear, and replace them if needed. Additionally, check all electrical connections and tighten or repair any loose or damaged ones.

5. Can I increase the power output of a single-phase generator?

In most cases, it is not possible to increase the power output of a single-phase generator as it is designed to produce a specific amount of electricity. However, you can connect multiple single-phase generators in parallel to increase the overall power output. It is important to consult a professional before attempting this, as it can be dangerous if not done correctly.