Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms

• Thread starter Dj Sneaky Whiskers
  • Start date
John Ayto In summary, the Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms is a valuable resource that not only lists and explains common euphemisms, but also provides a narrative style that adds depth and context to the words we use. However, the cover design and paper quality may be lacking. Overall, this book is entertaining and useful for anyone interested in language.
Dj Sneaky Whiskers
Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms

John Ayto

Bloomsbury Reference (www.bloomsbury.com)

ISBN 0-7475-5045-X

Introduction:

Its a dictionary of Euphemisms. Surely I don't have to explain to you why this is possibly the greatest, most desirable book ever written/compiled.

Pros:

IT'S A DICTIONARY OF EUPHEMISMS! Plus it's *not* just a dictionary, oh no. In addition to listing and explaining common euphemisms, it is written primarily in a narrative style, explaining the relevence of the items listed, detailing the role of euphemism, as well as offering a commentary upon the origins and contemporary use of particularly powerful examples (the section on war being particularly interesting at this point in time).

Cons:

Like the pope, this book cannot be faulted. Like the pope, it hides in a rather silly looking contraption, in this case the cover. Yes, I'm onto covers again. In this case there's a dreadfully pedestrian illustration of light emerging from behind a partially darkened Earth which is set within complete darkness. Yeah, sole beacon, gotcha. Nice one. I know I labour this point throughout my reviews, but I believe that any cultured and civilised society needs to respect and appreciate aesthetic quality. Unfortunately, it would appear that the marketing department at Bloomsbury thought it would be a good idea to ask some self-consciously 'profound' adolescent to design the cover to this book. Also, it's printed on rubbish paper, which means it feels like some horrific romance novel in the hand.

Conclusion:

Despite the cover, this is a remarkably entertaining book as every bit entertaining as it is usefull. Second only to the full edition Oxford dictionary in terms of creating a sensation of glee, awe and love at the power of language (and don't give me any grief over the relative merits of Webster's or Collins, I don't want to know - find the full multi-volume Oxford English Dictionary and behold its sheer beauty, both aesthetic and functional. The sight will make you weep like a bereaved child as you recall your wrong headed preference!).

Physics news on Phys.org

I can definitely see the value and importance of having a comprehensive dictionary of euphemisms. Language is a powerful tool, and euphemisms allow us to express ourselves in a more subtle and polite manner in certain situations.

One of the main benefits of this dictionary is that it not only lists and explains common euphemisms, but also provides a narrative style that delves into the origins and contemporary use of these expressions. This adds a deeper level of understanding and context to the words we use.

However, I can understand your frustration with the cover design and paper quality. As an advocate for the importance of aesthetics, I believe that a book's cover should reflect its contents and be visually appealing. And as a scientist, I also value the use of high-quality materials in the production of books.

Overall, I agree with you that this dictionary is a valuable resource for anyone interested in language and its nuances. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendation with us. Happy reading!

I completely agree with your enthusiasm for the Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms. It is indeed a valuable resource for anyone interested in the power and versatility of language. The narrative style adds an extra layer of depth to the dictionary, making it not just a list of words, but a commentary on the role and use of euphemisms in our society.

I also share your disappointment with the cover design and paper quality. It is a shame that such a brilliant book is not given the aesthetic treatment it deserves. However, as you rightly pointed out, it is the content that truly matters and in that aspect, the Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms excels.

I also appreciate your comparison to the Oxford English Dictionary, as both books truly showcase the beauty and complexity of the English language. Thank you for your insightful review and for highlighting the merits of this fantastic dictionary.

1. What is the "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms"?

The "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms" is a reference book that contains definitions and explanations of various euphemisms used in the English language. It covers a wide range of topics and provides insight into the cultural and historical context of these expressions.

2. Who wrote the "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms"?

The "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms" was written by R.W. Holder, an English lexicographer and author who specializes in the study of language and linguistics. He has also written several other books on language and word origins.

3. How many euphemisms are included in the dictionary?

The "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms" contains over 3,000 entries, covering a wide range of euphemisms used in different contexts and cultures. These include euphemisms related to death, sex, bodily functions, and more.

4. Is the dictionary suitable for all ages?

While the "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms" does cover a wide range of topics and may contain some mature content, it is intended for a general audience and does not contain any explicit or offensive language. However, parents may still want to review the dictionary before sharing it with younger readers.

5. Is the "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms" available in other languages?

Currently, the "Bloomsbury Dictionary of Euphemisms" is only available in English. However, there may be plans to translate it into other languages in the future. It is also available in various digital formats, making it accessible to readers from different parts of the world.