Where can I find online resources to help with classical mechanics?

In summary, the person is struggling with their classical mechanics course due to not having the textbook yet but being assigned a problem set by their professor. They are looking for online resources to help them with a specific question involving a bead moving along a conical spiral. They mention that their class only covers theory and proofs, not worked examples. One potential approach to solving the question is suggested.
bigoxygen
Hi!

My classical mechanics course is proving to be quite a challenge. The textbook has not arrived yet, and my professor has already assigned a problem set. For example, one question is

A bead of mass m is constrained to move along a smooth conical spiral. The radius of the spiral ρ = a z and the angle along the spiral φ = - b z where ρ, φ and z are the standard cylindrical coordinates. Find the equation of motion of the bead.

I have no idea where to start because we don't do any examples of worked problems in class, only theory and proofs. Does someone know any good online resources that I can check out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially you can find z as a function of time. The rest are constraints. Write down the Lagrangian in terms of rho, phi and z, then substitute where applicable.

for reaching out for help with your classical mechanics course. It can be challenging to learn new concepts without the proper resources and guidance. One suggestion I have is to try searching for online lectures or tutorials on classical mechanics. There are many universities and educational websites that offer free resources for students to learn from. You could also try reaching out to your professor or classmates for assistance or clarification on the problem set. Additionally, practicing similar problems and working through them step by step can also help improve your understanding of the material. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are the laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. These laws also include the concept of inertia, the relationship between an object's mass and acceleration, and the principle of action and reaction.

3. How is classical mechanics used in everyday life?

Classical mechanics is used in many aspects of everyday life, from the motion of vehicles to the movement of objects in sports. It is also used in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure they can withstand external forces such as wind and earthquakes.

4. What are some common applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications, including predicting the trajectory of projectiles, analyzing the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels. It is also used in the development of machines and tools, such as engines and gears.

5. What are some challenges in understanding classical mechanics?

One of the main challenges in understanding classical mechanics is grasping the concept of forces and their effects on objects. It can also be challenging to apply the laws of motion to complex systems with multiple objects and forces. Additionally, understanding the mathematical equations and formulas used in classical mechanics can be difficult for some individuals.