Unravelling the Secrets of Neutron Stars

In summary, a star maintains an equilibrium size due to the balance between inward gravity and outward pressure from nuclear reactions. When the hydrogen fuel is depleted, the star undergoes gravitational collapse and becomes a neutron star. Neutron stars are fast rotating and emit pulses of radio and light waves, known as pulsars. By treating the neutron star as a solid sphere and using conservation of angular momentum, one can deduce its radius. The speed of a point on the equator of the neutron star can be found using the equation v = r*omega.
feedmeister

Homework Statement

"During most of its lifetime, a star maintains an equilibrium size in which the inward force of gravity on each atom is balanced by an outward pressure force due to the heat of the nuclear reactions in the core. But after all the hydrogen "fuel" is consumed by nuclear fusion, the pressure force drops and the star undergoes a gravitational collapse until it becomes a neutron star. In a neutron star, the electrons and protons of the atoms are squeezed together by gravity until they fuse into neutrons. Neutron stars spin very rapidly and emit intense pulses of radio and light waves, one pulse per rotation. These "pulsing stars" were discovered in the 1960s and are called pulsars."

A star with the mass (2.0 x 10^30 kg) and size (R = 3.5 x 10^8 m) of our sun rotates once every 32.0 days. After undergoing gravitational collapse, the star forms a pulsar that is observed by astronomers to emit radio pulses every 0.200 s. By treating the neutron star as a solid sphere, deduce its radius.

What is the speed of a point on the equator of the neutron star? Your answer will be somewhat too large because a star cannot be accurately modeled as a solid sphere.

Homework Equations

I have no idea of which equations to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost and I don't know how to approach this problem. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of angular momentum comes to mind.

[tex]L_1=I_1\omega_1=L_2=I_2\omega_2[/tex]

Since the problem is talking about periods, then use this:

[tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]

Also, for a sphere:

[tex]I = \frac{2 m r^2}{5}[/tex]

You've got everything you need to solve for the radius now.

Hey Bill,

Thanks a lot!

Hey,

I got the radius, but how do I get the velocity? I tried L=rmv

Thanks

Oh I figured it out, it's just v=r*omega

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

Hey, I'm having trouble with this problem as well and I still haven't been able to find the radius. I tried using mr^2 to find the moment of inertia, and then substituting the value into I = (2mr^2/5) to find the radius but it was incorrect. Can anyone help?

nakyong said:
Hey, I'm having trouble with this problem as well and I still haven't been able to find the radius. I tried using mr^2 to find the moment of inertia, and then substituting the value into I = (2mr^2/5) to find the radius but it was incorrect. Can anyone help?

Are you using the conservation of momentum?
Find the initial momentum of the star before collapse, then use the conservation to give you a value of I_2 (after the collapse) then you have everything you need.

I'm still confused...doesn't conservation of angular momentum state that L_i = L_f?
Would I need to find I_1 from 2mr^2/5 and w_1 from 2pi/T and set that equal to I_2*w_2to solve for I_2? Wouldn't that just give me the same value for the initial moment of inertia since the w values are the same? or would the period change for 2pi/T?

anyone?

Nevermind guys, I got it now. I was making a stupid mistake. Thanks for all the help!

feedmeister said:
Oh I figured it out, it's just v=r*omega

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

Thank you, I was having a hard time figuring that out myself.

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a highly dense and compact object that is formed when a massive star undergoes a supernova explosion. It is composed mostly of neutrons and has a strong gravitational pull.

2. How do we study neutron stars?

Neutron stars can be studied using various methods such as observing their electromagnetic radiation, analyzing their gravitational waves, and studying their interactions with other celestial objects. Scientists also use theoretical models and computer simulations to understand the properties of neutron stars.

3. What are the unique properties of neutron stars?

Neutron stars have some unique properties, such as their extreme density, strong magnetic fields, and fast rotation. They also emit various forms of radiation, including X-rays, gamma rays, and radio waves.

4. What can we learn from studying neutron stars?

Studying neutron stars can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity and nuclear forces. It can also help us understand the processes involved in stellar evolution and the formation of elements in the universe.

5. Are there any potential applications of neutron star research?

Yes, the study of neutron stars has numerous potential applications, such as improving our understanding of neutron-rich matter, which can have implications for nuclear energy and weapons. It can also help in developing new technologies, such as neutron star navigation systems and gravitational wave detectors.