Photo Contest - Coffee Or Tea (2/12-2/18)

In summary, the photo contest has a "Coffee or Tea" theme and is open to anyone who loves coffee or tea and has a passion for photography. To submit a photo, participants can use the hashtag #CoffeeOrTeaContest on social media or submit through the contest's website. The photos will be judged based on creativity, originality, and how well they fit the theme, as well as technical aspects. Winners will be announced within a week after the contest ends and will be featured on the contest's website and social media pages.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Coffee Or Tea

This week's contest has the theme of "Coffee Or Tea". Your photo must have, as its main subject, something directly related to coffee or tea, or both.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread[/QUOTE]

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/410/img0034jts.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a messy day

coffee.jpg

I had a lot of trouble with this one: pics of my coffee maker/coffee cup are well.. "unsanitary". Going further along that line, I thought of taking a photo of the garbage can with 2+ weeks of used grounds... Close-up pics of beans were nice, but too close to the one I did of a buckeye. So I ended up with this- a drop of coffee suspended from a 27-gauge needle, in homage to my goal of finding more efficient caffeine delivery mechanisms:

[PLAIN]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1114/dsc4339.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
What people! You don't drink tea/coffee? :confused: Unless your camera is wrecked or something. :biggrin: :wink:

Can you tell the diameter of that perfectly rounded drop Andy? Perfect shot btw.

Cool Greg! I've never had fresh tea, wonder what it taste like? Not saying that you did... :biggrin:

drizzle said:
Cool Greg! I've never had fresh tea, wonder what it taste like? Not saying that you did... :biggrin:

I think all tea is "aged" from the drying process, no?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think all tea is "aged" from the drying process, no?

Yeah, but I have this weird thought that it would taste a bit bitter when dry, not sure and probably not true.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Me in the middle of a tea plantation in Rwanda

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/74211344ca.jpg

Did you have a tripod with you, Greg?

The green is spectacular in that picture, by the way.

Edited to add: Super-cool shot, Andy.

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
Did you have a tripod with you, Greg?

The green is spectacular in that picture, by the way.

Nah my guide took it for me. The fields are really amazing. I attached another one for you.

Attachments

• 37899_803715815168_26701563_43993969_4376626_n.jpg
    37899_803715815168_26701563_43993969_4376626_n.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 453
GeorginaS said:

thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Nah my guide took it for me. The fields are really amazing. I attached another one for you.

Those fields are spectacular, Greg! That must have been quite the adventure.

But! Your picture doesn't count, then, does it? Because you have to take the picture yourself. (I feel all nit-picky now. :shy: )

My morning cuppa. A 4-demitasse carafe of espresso poured into my oversized Smithsonian Zoo mug.

coffee_cont.jpg

BTW, if my mug looks coffee-stained and unsanitary, that's the way it has to be. I NEVER use soap or detergent on my coffee mug. Just rinse it out with hot water and dry it for the next use.

Last edited:
drizzle said:
Can you tell the diameter of that perfectly rounded drop Andy? Perfect shot btw.

Sorry- just saw this. The needle diameter is 0.4mm, so based on the image the drop diameter is about 2.5mm (70 ul).

GeorginaS said:
Those fields are spectacular, Greg! That must have been quite the adventure.

But! Your picture doesn't count, then, does it? Because you have to take the picture yourself. (I feel all nit-picky now. :shy: )

haha good call. Maybe then I submit the second one. I did take it.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
haha good call. Maybe then I submit the second one. I did that it.
Zz is pretty strict! Will he bend this time? :devil:

Waiter! There's a leaf in my cappucino!

wlbtpy.jpg

My daughter's favorite tea:

395207285.jpg

Jasmine Pearls.

Greg Bernhardt said:
haha good call. Maybe then I submit the second one. I did take it.

Well, I was waiting for confirmation that you didn't take the picture, which obviously came in already and I missed it.

You may submit another picture before the deadline. I will have to delete your first submission.

Zz.

Last day to submit a photo for this contest!

Zz.

Andy Resnick said:
So I ended up with this- a drop of coffee suspended from a 27-gauge needle, in homage to my goal of finding more efficient caffeine delivery mechanisms:...
I was thinking of hooking up my coffee maker to start a "slow drip" as a way to wake me up.

Great Picture

99i4w1.jpg

This urn(?)* or in Dutch Kraantjeskan (tap pot) was on the cupboard of my grandmothers grandparents as long she she could remember. When I was young, it was at my grandmother's from my first memories, and my grandson should tell the same well in the future.

Anyway, this model was first seen in 1690 AD and some expert told that it is indeed the oldest variation, hence it could not be much younger. It's not very valuable but it is the family heritage.

urn.. 3. a large metal container with a spigot, used for making or serving tea or coffee in quantity.

Last edited:
Afternoon tea...

img0521f.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Afternoon tea...

img0521f.jpg

Zz.
Ooh! Gut-shot!

This was the background image on our wedding invitations.

2wlqxy9.jpg

Ms Music said:
My daughter's favorite tea:

395207285.jpg

Jasmine Pearls.

I was afraid this was Kopi Luwak -- in which the coffee beans are eaten and passed by a civet-like critter (then picked up later and "cleaned" -- but I guess they gain some "je ne sais quoi" in the process). :yuck:

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Coffee or Tea". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that showcase their love for either coffee or tea.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who loves coffee or tea and has a passion for photography. It is not limited to any specific age or location.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you must post it on social media (such as Instagram or Twitter) with the hashtag #CoffeeOrTeaContest and tag the contest host. Alternatively, you can also submit your photo through the contest's website.

4. What are the criteria for judging the photos?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, originality, and how well they fit the theme of the contest. Technical aspects such as lighting and composition will also be considered.

5. When will the winners be announced?

The winners will be announced within a week after the contest ends. They will be notified through the platform they submitted their photo on, and their winning photos will be featured on the contest's website and social media pages.