E&M and beyond books for very mathematically adept

• Thread starter Lanza52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books E&m
In summary, E&M and beyond books are designed for individuals who possess a high level of mathematical proficiency. These books cover advanced topics in electromagnetism and beyond, providing a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter. They are ideal for those seeking a deeper understanding of electromagnetism and its applications in various fields. These books are recommended for individuals looking to expand their knowledge and skills in this area of study.
Lanza52
I'm looking for a Electricity and Magnetism (and beyond if possible) textbook that suits my capabilities better. I just read "Electric flux is proportional to the amount of electric field lines penetrating some surface" in my current textbook. I find that this is for the mathematical incapable. It tends to avoid any usage of integrals or derivatives.

I took Multivariable Calculus this past semester and did phenomenal. I'm extraordinarily good at understanding concepts and applying mathematics to describe the concept: ie what Calculus is all about. But that's not to say I'm good at math. I'm terrible with abstract math because I tend to approach everything by trying to understand the reality first and then letting the numbers fall into place.

So, back story aside; I'm looking for opinions about a textbook that is for the much more mathematically capable, but not one that says "flux is F dot dr" and leaves it as an abstraction. I guess a book that vividly explains the concept physically and then describes how it works with calculus without holding back in fear of offending the integral-challenged.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For E&M A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521701473/?tag=pfamazon01-20 has both the integral and differential forms of the 4 Maxwell equations as well as explains why there is a dot product used in certain formulas as well as other del operators. It is at a slightly higher level than what most probably learn in Calc III, but it is very accessible to those who have taken it. The only thing it adds to a Calc III class is that it take surface integrals in spherical and cylindrical coordinates. It is a very small at about 130 pages of material, but it is far denser than most books you have probably seen and will take you a bit longer per page than normal, but it should be what you are looking for. And it's cheap too!

The Feynman Lectures vol. 2. He explains the math in a physical fashion.

But there are many good undergraduate E&M texts that will also fit the bill. Search this forum for recommendations.

Purcell is the way to go.

J.D. Jackson wrote a good book on classical electrodynamics. He uses pretty decent mathematics, not too much wording.

dextercioby said:
J.D. Jackson wrote a good book on classical electrodynamics. He uses pretty decent mathematics, not too much wording.

Going directly from multivariable calculus to Jackson might be a bit of a stretch for the OP. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check it out at the library.

1. What topics are covered in E&M and beyond books for very mathematically adept?

E&M and beyond books for very mathematically adept typically cover advanced topics in electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations, special relativity, and quantum electrodynamics.

2. What level of math proficiency is required for these books?

These books are geared towards readers with a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A solid understanding of vector calculus is also necessary.

3. Are there any recommended prerequisites before diving into these books?

It is highly recommended to have a strong understanding of classical mechanics and basic concepts in electricity and magnetism before starting these books. Knowledge of special relativity and quantum mechanics is also beneficial.

4. Can these books be used as textbooks for a university course?

Yes, these books can be used as textbooks for advanced undergraduate or graduate courses in electromagnetism. They are also popular among self-studying students and researchers in the field.

5. Are there any notable authors or series in the field of E&M and beyond books?

Some well-known authors in this field include David J. Griffiths, Edward M. Purcell, and Richard P. Feynman. Some popular series include the "Oxford Master Series in Physics" and the "Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics".