What Is the Ratio of Charges q2 to q1 Based on Their Electric Field Angles?

In summary, two positive charges q1 and q2 fixed to a circle produce a net electric field at the center of the circle, making an angle of 28.6° counterclockwise from the vertical axis. To determine the ratio q2/q1, one can use the given angle and the fact that the two electric field vectors are at right angles to each other at the center. This allows for determining the angle between the resultant and one of the electric field vectors, which in turn can be used to relate the magnitudes of the field vectors and solve for the desired ratio.
jamiewilliams

Homework Statement

The drawing shows two positive charges q1 and q2 fixed to a circle. At the center of the circle they produce a net electric field that makes an angle 28.6° with the vertical axis, measured counterclockwise. Determine the ratio q2/q1.

[the drawing shows a circle with two charges: q1 measures 30° from the vert and q2 (on the other side of the vertical axis) measures 60° from the vert]

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I sketched the situation and drew 2 vectors coming from the origin for the energy fields E1 and E2 (from q1 and q2, respectively). I drew the x and y components of each vector using trig functions. I think I am on the right track but I am stuck! No matter how I move around the equations and/or algebra I can't seem to get the right answer.

[correct answer is 1.64]

Physics news on Phys.org
jamiewilliams said:

Homework Statement

The drawing shows two positive charges q1 and q2 fixed to a circle. At the center of the circle they produce a net electric field that makes an angle 28.6° with the vertical axis, measured counterclockwise. Determine the ratio q2/q1.

[the drawing shows a circle with two charges: q1 measures 30° from the vert and q2 (on the other side of the vertical axis) measures 60° from the vert]

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I sketched the situation and drew 2 vectors coming from the origin for the energy fields E1 and E2 (from q1 and q2, respectively). I drew the x and y components of each vector using trig functions. I think I am on the right track but I am stuck! No matter how I move around the equations and/or algebra I can't seem to get the right answer.

[correct answer is 1.64]
Your description is a bit vague about where the angles are being measured from (with respect to the positive or negative y-axis?), but I think I've managed to come up with a diagram that fits the bill:

attachment.php?attachmentid=43827&stc=1&d=1329090777.gif

You might want to take note of the fact that the two lines that converge on the circle center from the charges happen to meet at a 90° angle, thus the electric field vectors from the charges will also be at right angles to each other at the center. You should be able to use that fact and your given angle for the resultant to determine the angle that the resultant makes with one or the other of those lines. That angle will then be related to the magnitudes of the field vectors...

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,794

1. What is the formula for finding the ratio of two charges?

The formula for finding the ratio of two charges is Q1/Q2, where Q1 is the first charge and Q2 is the second charge.

2. How do you calculate the ratio of two charges?

To calculate the ratio of two charges, divide the first charge by the second charge. For example, if the first charge is 10 Coulombs and the second charge is 5 Coulombs, the ratio would be 10/5 = 2.

3. What is the unit for the ratio of two charges?

The unit for the ratio of two charges is dimensionless, meaning it has no physical unit. It is simply a numerical value representing the relationship between the two charges.

4. Can the ratio of two charges be negative?

Yes, the ratio of two charges can be negative. This indicates that the two charges have opposite signs (one is positive and one is negative). A negative ratio does not affect the magnitude of the ratio, it simply indicates the direction of the charges.

5. What does the ratio of two charges tell us?

The ratio of two charges tells us the relative magnitude of the two charges. It can also indicate the direction of the charges if the ratio is negative. This information is useful in understanding the electric field and forces between the two charges.