Strength of Materials- Asymmetric, simply supported beam problem

In summary, The conversation discusses calculating the moments of inertia and radius of gyration for a member, as well as determining the maximum stress at a specific location on the beam. The speaker mentions using the reaction force from the support and constructing shear force and bending moment diagrams to properly analyze the problem. They also mention the tricky nature of analyzing an L-section beam due to its asymmetrical shape and the use of Mohr's circle to determine the maximum stress.
dorado29
I'm working on a problem but I've hit a road block..

problem.jpg

Then the cross section of the piece is here:

crosssection11.jpg

The first part of the problem is to determine Iy, Iz, and Iyz of the member.. I found the y value of the centroid to be 2.8587" and the z value of the centroid to be 1.0734" using the bottom left corner as the origin. From there I did the following:

Iz = 1/12(5)(.5)3 + 2.5(.25 - 2.8587)2 + 1/12(.625)(7.5)3 + 4.6875(.3125 - 1.0734)2

and something similar for Iy and Iyz. All said and done I got

Iz = 48.112 in4
Iy = 13.163 in4
Iyz = -14.266 in4

Anywho, I then used that to get:

axes.png

Where I1 = 53.196 in4
and I2 = 8.0788 in4

Radius of gyration:
Rmax = 2.7205 in
Rmin = 1.0602 in

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next part of the problem is to find the max stress (be it tensile or compressive) at the far left hand side. I calculated the reaction force of the support to be 6562.5 lbf in the negative Y direction (the opposite of Vy in picture 2) and no moments at all which makes sense considering that the far left side is essentially "exposed" to air.

Am I correct to treat this like Vy is simply negative? Another part of me wants to say that the reaction force from the support is applied to the bottom of the member and I don't know if that changes anything or not..

It seems that the max stress will be solely from the shear stress caused by the support force? I'm trying to figure that out but my book only covered shear stress for symmetrical beams. I remember my professor saying something about using just the webbing for the shear analysis(?) Like treat it as if only the vertical, 8 inch high, .625 inch thick webbing was there then do a simple shear analysis on that piece.. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In order to analyze these beam problems properly, you should calculate the support reactions and construct the shear force and bending moment diagrams. The maximum bending moment will occur at a location where the shear force is zero. However, since you are looking to calculate the max. stress, there may be a location along the beam where the combined stress due to bending and shear may be a maximum. The magnitude of the max. stress can be determined using Mohr's circle. Analyzing an L-section is tricky because of the asymmetrical nature of the beam. The shear center for an L-section lies outside of the beam itself, and applying a shear force anywhere except thru the shear center leads to the creation of a torsional moment on the beam.

1. What is a simply supported beam?

A simply supported beam is a structural element that is supported at its ends and can freely rotate and deflect under load. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects to support weight and distribute forces.

2. What is an asymmetric beam?

An asymmetric beam is a beam with an uneven distribution of material or cross-sectional properties. This can affect the strength and stability of the beam and must be taken into account when analyzing its performance.

3. How do you calculate the strength of an asymmetric, simply supported beam?

The strength of an asymmetric, simply supported beam can be calculated using various equations such as the bending equation, shear equation, and deflection equation. These equations take into account the material properties, load distribution, and beam geometry to determine the maximum stress and displacement of the beam.

4. What factors can affect the strength of an asymmetric, simply supported beam?

The strength of an asymmetric, simply supported beam can be affected by various factors such as the material properties, beam geometry, load distribution, and support conditions. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, moisture, and corrosion can also impact the strength of the beam.

5. How can the strength of an asymmetric, simply supported beam be improved?

The strength of an asymmetric, simply supported beam can be improved by using stronger and more durable materials, optimizing the beam's geometry and cross-sectional properties, and ensuring proper load distribution and support conditions. Additionally, using reinforcing elements such as braces or trusses can also increase the strength of the beam.