Why is silver acetate sort of insoluble?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of acetate ions and their ability to form water-soluble salts with other cations. However, the most recent lesson reveals that silver(I) ions can override this rule and create insoluble acetate compounds. The question is raised about why silver is the only ion that does this and if other acetate compounds, such as methanoate or propanoate, would also behave this way. The speaker also wonders if a solution of silver acetate would eventually form silver hydroxide due to the basic properties of the acetate ion. While the speaker cannot answer the question about silver's behavior, they do mention that the reaction between silver acetate and water will not occur spontaneously due
McSpongy
One of my first solubility lessons regarded the great ability of the acetate ion to form a water-soluble salt with any other cation.
One of my most recent lessons regarded the great ability of the silver(I) ion to override the previous rule.
Why is silver the only ion that makes a not-as-soluble acetate? Would it happen also with methanoate or propanoate? I searched for those two and couldn't find them.
Furthermore, would a solution of silver acetate eventually form silver hydroxide because of the basic properties of the acetate ion?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't answer the question about why silver makes so many insoluble ionic compounds.

But I do know that the reaction AgOAc + H2O → AgOH + HOAc will not occur spontaneously. OH- is a stronger base than OAc- and HOAc is a stronger acid than H2O, so the preferred reaction is very much in the opposite direction.

I supposed the acetate would partially form acetic acid, as the weak base it is, and some of the generated hydroxide ions would find their way into a happy ionic marriage with some of the aqueous silver, and the solution would have a growing brown color.
It happened in my head.

1. Why is silver acetate insoluble?

Silver acetate is insoluble because it has a low solubility product constant (Ksp), which means that it does not easily dissolve in water. This is due to the strong bonds between the silver and acetate ions.

2. How does the insolubility of silver acetate affect its use in experiments?

The insolubility of silver acetate can affect its use in experiments because it may limit the amount of silver ions available for reactions. This can also cause difficulties in accurately measuring and controlling the concentration of silver acetate in solutions.

3. Is silver acetate completely insoluble or does it have some solubility?

Silver acetate is not completely insoluble, but it has a very low solubility in water. The solubility of silver acetate can be increased by adding certain substances, such as nitric acid, which can help to break down the strong bonds between the silver and acetate ions.

4. Can temperature affect the solubility of silver acetate?

Yes, temperature can have an effect on the solubility of silver acetate. Generally, increasing the temperature can increase the solubility of most substances, including silver acetate. However, this effect may not be significant due to the low solubility of silver acetate.

5. Are there any applications where the insolubility of silver acetate is beneficial?

Yes, the insolubility of silver acetate can be beneficial in certain applications. For example, it can be used as a reagent in organic synthesis reactions as it can act as a catalyst or a precipitating agent. Its insolubility also makes it useful in creating silver-based coatings on surfaces.