Questions about my thesis plans

• Thread starter jecuen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thesis
In summary, the project has some difficulty because an IC engine needs low exhaust back pressure, which would be difficult to achieve with a turbine. The project may be better off extracting energy from the alternator fitted to the engine.
jecuen
Hello I'm a fifth year electrical engineering student. i am planning to design and fabricate a low power alternator connected to a car exhaust. it's prime mover is a wind turbine run by the smoke emissions so that the smoke can still b useful. i just wanted to make something new because i think there are many projects made on piezoelectricity,TEGs and the like. is this a possible thing to make? and please can it make it to a power in Watts or just milliwatts? I'm also thinking for what i can use this power? thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a bit of a problem with your suggested project. An IC engine needs to have low exhaust back pressure, if you obstruct the exhaust with a turbine the engine will not work well. The energy you generate will probably be less than the engines energy reduction by obstructing the exhaust. It would be better to extract energy from the alternator fitted to the engine.

ok thanks, I'm having trouble proposing a thesis topic to my adviser. xD

i have noticed there's been substantial research into automotive alternators of late.

Some interesting articles:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=560180&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel3%2F4112%2F12219%2F00560180.pdf%3Farnumber%3D560180

These fellows use modern control theory to get more power out of an ordinary alternator
http://www.rle.mit.edu/per/JournalPapers/JPtpemay04p618.pdf

this young fellow optimized a control scheme for using them on wind turbines
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=1x9Ae72SSicuAXq7xETdnA&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thesis plans with me. It sounds like you have a unique and interesting idea for a project. I believe that exploring new ideas and pushing the boundaries of current technology is crucial for progress and innovation.

Based on your description, it seems like your project is definitely possible to make. However, it may require significant research and experimentation to determine the feasibility and efficiency of using a wind turbine as the prime mover for a low power alternator connected to a car exhaust. I would suggest consulting with experts in the field and conducting thorough research to ensure that your project will be successful.

In terms of power output, it is difficult to determine whether your project will generate watts or milliwatts without further information and testing. It will depend on factors such as the size and design of the wind turbine, the efficiency of the alternator, and the amount of smoke emissions generated by the car exhaust.

As for potential uses for the power generated, there are various possibilities depending on the amount of power produced. It could potentially be used to power small electronic devices or as a backup power source for emergency situations. Again, further research and experimentation will be needed to determine the practical applications of your project.

Overall, I commend your enthusiasm and ambition to create something new and beneficial. I wish you the best of luck with your thesis and I look forward to seeing the results of your project.

1. What is the purpose of your thesis?

The purpose of my thesis is to conduct original research and contribute new knowledge to my field of study.

2. How did you come up with your research topic?

I came up with my research topic by identifying a gap in the existing literature and formulating a research question that would address that gap.

3. What is your research methodology?

My research methodology involves a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods, including data collection through surveys, interviews, and analysis of existing data.

4. What are the potential implications of your research?

The potential implications of my research include advancing understanding and knowledge in my field, informing future research and policy decisions, and potentially making a positive impact on society.

5. What are your plans for defending your thesis?

My plans for defending my thesis include preparing a comprehensive presentation of my research findings and defending them in front of a committee of experts in my field.