Kevlar Flexibility: Exploring DuPont's Claim

In summary, there is a question about the flexibility of Kevlar, since it is a crystalline polymer that is typically known to be stiff. However, this may depend on the definitions of "flexible" and "stiff" and could also be influenced by marketing tactics. Further information and resources are available for those interested in learning more about Kevlar.
wais
Hey,

I know this is my 3rd topic on kevlar but they arent the same question so :P

Anyway, DuPont (the company who own the Kevlar brand) claim that it is flexible, yet it is a cristaline ploymer which makes it stiff, so how can it be flexible as well?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Being that no one has responded yet, I figured I'd post a site that may help...not sure...it all depends upon how much you already know about it, I suppose.

Does http://www.apparelsearch.com/Definitions/Fiber/kevlar_fiber_definition.htm" help any?

What about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
wais said:
Hey,
I know this is my 3rd topic on kevlar but they arent the same question so :P
Anyway, DuPont (the company who own the Kevlar brand) claim that it is flexible, yet it is a cristaline ploymer which makes it stiff, so how can it be flexible as well?
Thanks.

Depends on how 'flexible' and 'stiff' are defined. Stiff as in, high modulus? Flexible as in large yield strain? I'd also like to note that often, marketing distorts science/engineering for a broader public appeal as well (whether its sensible or not).

Last edited:

What is Kevlar and how is it used?

Kevlar is a type of synthetic fiber that is known for its high strength and resistance to impact, heat, and chemicals. It is commonly used in the production of body armor, tires, ropes, and other products that require high durability and strength.

What is DuPont's claim about Kevlar flexibility?

DuPont, the company that invented Kevlar, claims that the material is not only strong and durable, but also highly flexible. They state that Kevlar has the ability to flex and bend without losing its strength, making it a versatile material for various applications.

What makes Kevlar flexible?

Kevlar's flexibility is due to its unique molecular structure. The long chains of molecules that make up Kevlar are able to slide over each other, giving it the ability to bend and flex without breaking. This structure also helps to distribute the force of impact, making Kevlar resistant to tears and punctures.

How can Kevlar's flexibility be tested?

Kevlar's flexibility can be tested using various methods such as the tensile test, which measures the amount of force needed to stretch or bend a material, or the shear test, which evaluates the strength of a material when subjected to a twisting force. These tests can provide quantitative data on Kevlar's flexibility and help validate DuPont's claim.

Are there any limitations to Kevlar's flexibility?

While Kevlar is highly flexible, it does have its limitations. It is not as flexible as materials such as rubber or nylon, and it can become stiff and brittle when exposed to extreme temperatures. Additionally, Kevlar's flexibility is dependent on its molecular structure, so any damage or changes to this structure can affect its flexibility. However, when used within its recommended operating conditions, Kevlar remains a highly flexible and durable material.