Finding Connected Sets in a Rectangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle involving finding two sets, P and Q, that satisfy certain conditions. The solution to this puzzle involves understanding the difference between "connected" and "path-wise connected" sets. An example is provided, and it is proven that both P and Q are connected sets.
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Since things are a bit quiet here, I thought I would throw out a puzzle I came up with several years ago, after reading an article on connected sets:

Find two sets, P and Q, satisfying:

1) Both P and Q are completely contained in the (closed) rectangle in R2 with vertices at (1, 1), (1, -1), (-1, -1), and (-1, 1).

2) P contains the diametrically opposite points (1, 1) and (-1, -1) while Q contains(1, -1) and (-1, 1).

3) P and Q are both connected sets.

4) P and Q are disjoint.

The solution involves the difference between "connected" and "path-wise connected".

Physics news on Phys.org
P is the set of points [itex](x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]x[/itex] is rational and [itex]-1\leq x\leq 1[/itex], and [itex]y[/itex] is irrational and [itex]-1\leq y \leq 1[/itex] along with (1,1) and (-1,-1).

Q is the set of points [itex](x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]x[/itex] is irrational and [itex]-1\leq x\leq 1[/itex], and [itex]y[/itex] is rational and [itex]-1\leq y \leq 1[/itex] along with (1,1) and (-1,-1).

Last edited:
AKG said:
Make Q the straight segment. Make P have two disjoint parts, each the mirror image of the other. Any half of P will start at its corner, and approach Q like the topologist's sine curve approaches the y-axis.

P can be partitioned into the closed sets that correspond to [itex]x+y > 0[/itex] and [itex]x+y < 0[/itex]. Since solutions to [itex]x+y=0[/itex] are not in P, both of those sets are closed (in P), and they're obviously disjoint.

Nate, your idea doesn't work. P and Q are not connected. You can disconnect P say be splitting it into two sets, those points in P to the left of the vertical line x=any irrational in (-1,1) and those to the right.

Editing to make things nicer...

Consider the following sets:
[tex]P[/itex]
is a union of the following:
A vertical line segment at [itex]x=-1, y \in (-1,.5][/itex]
A vertical line segment at [itex]x=1, y \in [-.5,1)[/itex]
Horizontal line segments [itex]x \in [-1,.5], y = \sqrt{2} * n - k (\rm{for some} k,n \in \mathbb{Z} \rm{and} y \in [-1,.5][/itex]
and
Horizontal line segments [itex]x \in [-.5,.-1], y = \sqrt{2} * n - k (\rm{for some} k,n \in \mathbb{Z} \rm{and} y \in [-.5,.1][/itex]

This could be described as two interleaved infernal combs.
And [itex]Q[/itex] is [itex]P[/itex]'s complement.
Clearly each comb is a path-connected subset, so the only possible partition into non-empty closed sets is to split this into the combs, but each comb contains part of the other in its closure. Hence [itex]P[/itex] is connected.

(I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this section.)
Now, let's assume that [itex]Q[/itex] can be partitioned into disjoint non-empty closed sets A, and B. Since any horizontal intersecting [itex]Q[/itex] forms a connected sets, the projections of A and B onto the horizontal line must be disjoint. Since line segements are connected, at least one of two cannot be a closed set. Without loss of generality, that set is A. Since the projection of A onto the y-axis is not closed there is some [itex]y[/itex] that is a limit point of the projection, but not in the projection, but that limit point clearly corresponds to a line segment of limit points of A that are not in A, but are in [itex]A[/itex] - contradicting that A is closed.

Last edited:
If anyone cares, I thought of a better example (in the sense that it's a bit easier to prove connectedness) on my way home last night, but it uses the same idea.

NateTG, I'm going to have to think about that for a while. Here' my answer:

Let A be the straight line from (-1,-1) to (0, -1/2). Let B be the set
{(x,y)| 0< x<= 1/pi, y= 0.8 sin(1/x)+ .1} (0.8 and 0.1 are chosen to lift that slightly above the x-axis but stay within the square), and let C be the straight line from (1/pi,0.1) to (1,1). Let P= A union B union C.

Let X be the straight line from (-1,1) to (0, 1/2). Let Y be the set {(x,y)| 0< x< 1/pi, y= 0.8 sin (1/x)- .1}, and let Z be the straight line from (1/pi,-0.1) to (1,-1). Let Q= X union Y union Z

Each of A, B, C, X, Y, Z is connected B union C and Y union Z are clearly connected since B,C and Y,Z have a point in common. The fact that
P= A union B union C is connected is clear from the fact that the closure of B includes the entire line (0, y) with y from -0.7 to 0.9 and includes (0, 0.5). The fact that Q= X union Y union Z is connected is clear from the fact that the closure of Y includes the entire line (0, y) with y from -0.9 to 0.7 and includes (0, 0.5).

HallsofIvy said:
NateTG, I'm going to have to think about that for a while. Here' my answer.

Nice.

I had thought about using
[tex] (1-|x|) \sin (\frac{1}{x}) \pm {x}[/itex]
but for whatever reason didn't think of simply splitting the y-axis into, for example, positive and negative sections.

1. What is the purpose of finding connected sets in a rectangle?

The purpose of finding connected sets in a rectangle is to identify and group together elements or data points that are interconnected or related in some way within a given rectangular area. This can provide insights and patterns in the data that may not be apparent at first glance.

2. How is a connected set defined in a rectangle?

A connected set in a rectangle is a group of elements or data points that are adjacent to one another, either horizontally or vertically, within the given rectangular area. This means that each point in the set shares at least one side with another point in the set.

3. What are some common methods for finding connected sets in a rectangle?

There are several common methods for finding connected sets in a rectangle, including using graph theory algorithms such as depth-first search or breadth-first search, as well as recursive or iterative approaches. Other methods may involve using a matrix or grid representation of the rectangle and performing operations on it to identify connected elements.

4. Can connected sets be found in non-rectangular shapes?

While the term "connected sets in a rectangle" specifically refers to identifying sets within a rectangular area, similar principles and methods can be applied to identify connected sets in non-rectangular shapes as well. However, the definitions and algorithms may vary depending on the specific shape and its properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding connected sets in a rectangle?

Finding connected sets in a rectangle has various applications in fields such as image processing, computer vision, network analysis, and social media analysis. For example, it can be used to identify clusters of related objects in an image, detect patterns in a network of connections, or group together similar topics or communities in social media discussions.