Constructing a Finite State Machine for Recognizing Sequences in Language A

In summary, a finite state machine (FSM) is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system with a finite number of states, inputs, outputs, and transition rules. Its applications include control systems, computer science, linguistics, and artificial intelligence. FSMs differ from other mathematical models in that they are discrete and deterministic. Though limited to a finite number of states and inputs, FSMs can handle complex systems by breaking them down into smaller components. Advantages of using an FSM include simplicity, modularity, scalability, and ease of implementation. They also aid in designing and testing complex systems by identifying errors and ensuring proper functionality.
prevail
Why is it not possible to construct a finite state machine that recognizes precisely those sequences in the language
A = {0^i 1^j |i,j Element Z^+, i>j} where the alphabet for A is {0,1}..

I just don't get it why this is not possible.. :grumpy:

Is it because 0 can be infinite.. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
0 is 0, 0 is not 'infinite'.

yeah i know that, but in a finite state machine... According to the sequence in the language there must be more 0 than 1... (the way I understand it..)

1. What is a finite state machine?

A finite state machine (FSM) is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system that can be in one of a finite number of states at any given time. It consists of a set of states, a set of inputs, a set of outputs, and a set of rules for transitioning between states based on inputs.

2. What are the applications of finite state machines?

Finite state machines have a wide range of applications, including control systems, computer science, linguistics, and artificial intelligence. They are commonly used to model sequential logic circuits in hardware design, as well as in software development for tasks such as natural language processing, parsing, and game development.

3. How does a finite state machine differ from other mathematical models?

A finite state machine is a type of discrete system, meaning that it operates on a set of discrete inputs and outputs rather than continuous values. It is also deterministic, meaning that the current state and input always uniquely determine the next state. These characteristics make FSMs particularly useful for modeling systems with a finite number of possible states and discrete behaviors.

4. Can a finite state machine handle complex systems?

While finite state machines are limited to a finite number of states and inputs, they can still handle complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, simpler components. This allows for the creation of hierarchical state machines, where one state can contain another state machine as a sub-state. This allows for the modeling of complex behaviors and systems with a large number of states and inputs.

5. What are the advantages of using a finite state machine?

There are several advantages to using finite state machines, including their simplicity, modularity, and scalability. They are also easily implementable in both hardware and software, and can provide a visual representation of a system's behavior. Additionally, FSMs are useful for designing and testing complex systems, as they can help identify potential errors and ensure proper functionality.