Planning to study Physics/Math in USA or UK

In summary, the best university for physics and math may depend on your SAT score and your location. There are many good universities in the U.S. for undergraduate physics and math studies. However, they are all very expensive.
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, I am currently 12th grade in India. I am planning to go to USA or UK to study Physics and Maths (undergraduate.) I need some help with deciding which universities to apply to. I've taken the SAT and my (highest out of two tests) scores are

critical reading : 730 (97th Percentile)
math : 720 (94th percentile)

Im also going to take the Math and Physics subject tests and the TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language) soon. Which universities have strong undergrad physics/math departments and what are my chances of getting in? I've already looked at some university ranking lists. All of the lists I've seen base their rankings on research/citations etc. None of them say anything direct about the undergraduate course.

I would appreciate it if some of you could share your personal experience and/or opinions. What I'm looking for is a good course, fairly good faculty, good library, and fair chances of getting in.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the UK, the best ranking systems for undergraduate teaching come from the various newspapers. The most authoritive of these is probably the Times Educational Supplement.

There are also ranking systems employed by the UK funding body, HEFCE. This ranks universities on a scale of 24 for their teaching - but it's quite mediocre, 24/24 is basically 'satisfactory in all areas'. Most good departments get 24.

well for physics and math, there are a few top notch schools in the US you might want to look at

MIT (massachusettes institute of technology)
Caltech (california institute of technology)
Princeton
Harvey Mudd

those are probably the canonical best schools in america for physics and math, and judging by your sat scores you might want to go to one.

also I've heard harvard has a very good math program, and in the UK I know cambridge is a very good school for physics

Do I have a chance with those? Also, can some of you who have already studied physics and/or maths tell me about your undergrad school? Personal experience/opinions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Please be aware that the best private schools in the U.S. are hideously expensive. If you or your parents are wealthy, no problem. But while aid, loans and scholarships are certainly available, I suspect that they are difficult for foreign students to obtain.

Graduate school, is a different matter. While tuition is still high, tuition waivers and small stipends for being a TA or RA are common.

Sorry for reviving the thread, but i didnt get what i wanted. Maybe I wasnt specific enough.

- Which schools are good for science (in your opinion)?

- With my SAT score (1440 / 1600), do I have a chance of getting into top schools?

- Can you tell me something about your undergrad school? (this question is aimed at undergrads, or people who have recently completed their undergrad studies)

Assume that I'm not applying for financial assistance and that I don't need any.

I'm not really an expert on this, but for American students, American schools want to see the 2400 SAT score with the writing section... it might be different for international students, but it's definitely something to look into.

My SAT score including writing is 2050

It's fine to try for the very best (e.g. Harvard, Princeton, Cal Tech,...) but the USA has dozens of other schools where you can get a good undergraduate education in physics, ranging from large state universities (Berkeley, Michigan, Illinois...) to small private colleges (Harvey Mudd, Swarthmore, Davidson, Oberlin...).

One well-known annual ranking of undergraduate schools is the one by the weekly newsmagazine "US News and World Report":

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankindex_brief.php

They're general rankings rather than physics/math specific rankings, and they're obviously sensitive to the specific criteria used and how they're weighted. Nevertheless, they should give you an idea of the range of options that are available here.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of studying Physics or Math in the USA or UK?

Studying Physics or Math in the USA or UK can provide you with access to top universities and research institutions, cutting-edge technology and resources, and renowned faculty members. Additionally, these countries have a strong emphasis on practical application and research, providing students with opportunities to gain hands-on experience and develop critical thinking skills.

2. What are the requirements for studying Physics or Math in the USA or UK?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but in general, international students will need to submit transcripts, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), and proof of English proficiency. Many universities also require letters of recommendation and a personal statement highlighting your interest and qualifications in the field of study.

3. How do I choose between studying Physics or Math in the USA or UK?

It is important to research and compare universities in both countries to determine which program best aligns with your academic and career goals. Consider factors such as curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and location. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences and the quality of education offered.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students studying Physics or Math in the USA or UK?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for international students studying in the USA or UK. Many universities offer merit-based scholarships for exceptional academic performance, as well as need-based scholarships for students who demonstrate financial need. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.

5. Is there a difference in the curriculum for studying Physics or Math in the USA or UK?

While there may be slight variations in course offerings and curriculum structure, the fundamentals of Physics and Math are the same in both countries. Both the USA and UK have a strong emphasis on theoretical and practical application, and students can expect to gain a solid foundation in these subjects regardless of where they choose to study.