Plans for Holiday? Ideas & Tips to Make it Memorable

• Thread starter Robert Mak
  • Start date
In summary, the person will be going home for Christmas, studying for their exams, and having a few other festivities.
Robert Mak
What plans do you have for the holiday?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of turkey, lots of stuffing, lots of food in general, and some quiet time, maybe 1-2 days with no homework.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Lots of turkey, lots of stuffing, lots of food in general, and some quiet time, maybe 1-2 days with no homework.

Mine are pretty much the same, except turkey --> codfish & 1-2 days with no homework --> 7-8 days with no homework. :biggrin:

heh, I haven't had fish for a long time. Yum

Christmas eve, making gallons of hot Coco for a army of elfs who deliver gifts to children. Christmas day, spending time with family and friends.

Going home for Christmas with my family, leaving tomorrow as my last exams are today...WOOT! I can't wait to go dirtbiking/quadding/snowmobiling...whichever the weather permits :) The best part will be getting out of the city haha.

scorpa said:
Going home for Christmas with my family, leaving tomorrow as my last exams are today...WOOT! I can't wait to go dirtbiking/quadding/snowmobiling...whichever the weather permits :) The best part will be getting out of the city haha.

EDIT: When I get home I will be back in the land of Dial up internet so if I am not online during Christmas I'll wish everyone a early Merry Christmas and Happy New Year now. Have a great one everybody!

I'm taking the 25th off of work, since there won't be any clients around anyhow. W is leaving the night before to be with the grandbrats. I'll spend the 25th drinking, watching TV, and PFing (if anybody's on).
Also taking Jan 1 off, because I'll be in no condition to work. :biggrin:

I'm going home to see my family for xmas. Probably have a lazy few days, then start revising for my exams in early January- sounds fun, huh?!

1-2, 7-8 where do you nerds go to school? I have nearly 30 days of no homework. For the holidays, eat, relax, watch the Cowboys win.

I'll be out tending sheep. :rolleyes: I didn't make holiday plans this year because I thought I was going to write a grant over the holiday break, but changed my mind and decided to aim for the next deadline instead. So, it's me and the cat. Maybe fish is a good idea so we can share. :biggrin: Oh, and now that I'm in the "cat club" I'll be making the rounds tending critters of the feline variety for their owners who are going away for Christmas too.

Sitting at home alone.

Oh, I guess I won't be here all by myself then. We'll get the PF Yule Log lit and roast marshmallows. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Sitting at home alone.

You're welcome to come here, but I'd have to hide you before W gets back. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Oh, I guess I won't be here all by myself then. We'll get the PF Yule Log lit and roast marshmallows. :biggrin:
We can set up a web cam and Ember and Dr Foofer can video conference. :biggrin:

Danger said:
You're welcome to come here, but I'd have to hide you before W gets back. :biggrin:
<fears W> That's ok, I'm just going to sit alone at home scooping out the cat box and picking up hairballs, just like last year, and the year before that. :frown:

We need to get another PF New Year's party going like last year.

Evo said:
We need to get another PF New Year's party going like last year.

Hm, that's a good idea, since there's a high probability that I'll be doing (for New Year) the same thing you'll (unfortunately) be doing on Christmas eve. :frown: :wink:

Edit: the same thing, except for the cat box and the hairballs.

You guys study heaps our exams finnished about a month ago and I've still got a month before study starts up again. Most students here have had about 8 weeks off and have another 2 months to go.

I am working through the holidays, however will be going to watch a small eric clapton concert, going to midnight mass and christmas parties and spending time with the little family I have near me. I will also be preparing and cooking the christmas dinner

rhuthwaite said:
You guys study heaps our exams finnished about a month ago and I've still got a month before study starts up again. Most students here have had about 8 weeks off and have another 2 months to go.

It's alright for some! Here, the universities decided it'd be a great idea to have exams just after xmas, and so taking most of the fun out of the holiday!

I got my jury duty postponed again so I get to go home for Christmas. Yay. But I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out while I am there.

cristo said:
It's alright for some! Here, the universities decided it'd be a great idea to have exams just after xmas, and so taking most of the fun out of the holiday!

That sucks! I am glad I study over here. And some people complain about our exams haha

Math Is Hard said:
I got my jury duty postponed again so I get to go home for Christmas. Yay. But I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out while I am there.
:eek: Poor MIH. :frown:

1) getting overrun/run-over by the new husband and his two boys. :bugeye:
2) yeah -- further postponing e-mailing greg with the new PF name. :rofl:

and yeah...
Evo said:
hope your wisdom-tooth-extraction goes well... so you can still enjoy the holiday eating! (That was me about 15 years ago during the holidays... but I was eating cashews the next day -- against doctors orders , but feeling great!.. hope yours is as easy.)

Evo said:

I know. It sounds horrible. But me and my brother are going to go through it together so that helps. Plus, Mom got me the entire first season of Medium on DVD. And my Vicoden prescription is already filled and waiting for me. :smile:

Best of luck MIH, I am having mine out aswell!

physics girl phd said:
1) getting overrun/run-over by the new husband and his two boys. :bugeye:
2) yeah -- further postponing e-mailing greg with the new PF name. :rofl:

and yeah...

hope your wisdom-tooth-extraction goes well... so you can still enjoy the holiday eating! (That was me about 15 years ago during the holidays... but I was eating cashews the next day -- against doctors orders , but feeling great!.. hope yours is as easy.)

Cashews? Wow! Thanks for the good wishes. :smile:

I think you might be stuck with the "physics girl phd" handle. We are all used to calling you that now. We might not be able to change.

rhuthwaite said:

Thanks! Are you doing it over the holiday break?

Yeah I am, our holidays over here seem to be different to yours though, but getting them out at the start of January while everyone else is spending their new years holiday in the sun a million miles away. Atleast they won't be around to see me with a numb mouth and dribbling haha

Math Is Hard said:

rhuthwaite said:

:uhh: Um, I'm not sure you two listened to that song very well. Maybe you should listen to it again ... "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth".

Math Is Hard said:
Plus, Mom got me the entire first season of Medium on DVD.
I love that show. :approve:
And my Vicoden prescription is already filled and waiting for me. :smile:
Vicoden and some eggnog and you'll be having a very merry Christmas. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Vicoden and some eggnog and you'll be having a very merry Christmas. :biggrin:

If you can remember it. :rofl:

1. What are some budget-friendly holiday ideas?

Some budget-friendly holiday ideas include camping, road trips, staycations, and visiting local attractions. These options can be more affordable than traditional vacations and still provide a fun and memorable experience.

2. How can I make my holiday more memorable?

To make your holiday more memorable, try to incorporate unique experiences such as trying new foods, participating in local cultural events, or visiting off-the-beaten-path destinations. Also, take plenty of photos and keep a travel journal to document your trip.

3. What are some tips for planning a holiday?

Some tips for planning a holiday include setting a budget, researching destinations and accommodations, and creating a flexible itinerary. It's also important to consider the interests and preferences of everyone in your travel group.

4. How can I save money on holiday expenses?

To save money on holiday expenses, consider traveling during off-peak seasons, booking accommodations and flights in advance, and taking advantage of deals and discounts. You can also save money by cooking some of your own meals instead of eating out for every meal.

5. What are some ways to stay safe while traveling during the holidays?

To stay safe while traveling during the holidays, make sure to research your destination and be aware of any potential safety concerns. It's also important to take necessary precautions such as keeping your valuables secure, staying in well-lit and populated areas, and being cautious when trying new activities or foods.