Light propagating at angle, under Lorentz transformation

In summary: I think I solved the problem but i am not confident it is correct. I will just turn it into my professor and see what his coments are.
wtronic
well, i have been going over this problem for about 4 hours and everytime i get closer and closer to some answer but I am never convinced i am right.

THE PROBLEM:
let lambda be the wavelength of light propagating in the x-y plane at an angle theta with respect to the x-axis in the (x,y,z,t) frame. What is its wavelength and direction of propagation in the (x',y',z',t') frame.

I know the wave equation for a wave is

[tex]\Phi[/tex]cosK[x + ct]

but since traveling at an angle, theta should I put?

[tex]\Phi[/tex]cosk[xcos[tex]\theta[/tex] +ct]
+
[tex]\Phi[/tex]cosk[ycos[tex]\theta[/tex] +ct]

and using Lorentz's tranformation

x' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](x - vt)
t' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](t - ux/c^2)

I would appreciate any help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You find a full explanation consulting
Robert Resnick, Introduction to Special Relativity John Willey and Sons 1968 pp.84-87.
It is based on the invariance of the phase of a plane electromagnetic wave propagating along an arbitrary direction and makes use of the Lorentz transformations for the space-time coordinates of the same event.
I think that all that can be done involving only the time dilation effect.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/Scattering/Plane_Wave_Angle.html . However, it seems to me this is an over-complicated approach--you don't actually need to know the amplitude of the wave at every point in space, you just need the distance between the peaks. So, you could just imagine two particles traveling in a straight line at an angle theta relative to the x-axis, with the distance between the particles equal to the wavelength--if you figure out the equation for each particle's position as a function of time in the first coordinate system, it's not too hard to find the corresponding equations in the second coordinate system (especially because you can just pick two points on each particle's worldline and translate their coordinates individually).

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help, I think I solved the problem but i am not confident it is correct. I will just turn it into my professor and see what his coments are.
JesseM- Thanks for the link, I went there and it was a good help; I think the approach I was doing is correct.

thanks for the help

What is light propagating at an angle?

Light propagating at an angle refers to the phenomenon where light travels in a direction that is not perpendicular to the surface it is hitting. This can occur when light passes through a medium with a different refractive index or when it is reflected or refracted at an interface.

What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how measurements of space and time change for an observer moving at a constant velocity relative to another observer. It is an important component of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

How does the Lorentz transformation affect light propagating at an angle?

The Lorentz transformation affects light propagating at an angle by changing the perceived speed and direction of the light for different observers. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Therefore, the Lorentz transformation must be applied to properly calculate the behavior of light propagating at an angle for different observers.

What is the significance of light propagating at an angle under the Lorentz transformation?

The significance of light propagating at an angle under the Lorentz transformation is that it helps us understand the behavior of light in different reference frames and how it is affected by the principles of special relativity. This has important implications for our understanding of the nature of light and the universe as a whole.

Can light propagating at an angle under the Lorentz transformation violate the laws of physics?

No, light propagating at an angle under the Lorentz transformation does not violate the laws of physics. The Lorentz transformation is a mathematically rigorous formula that accurately describes the behavior of light and other physical phenomena in different reference frames. It is a fundamental part of our understanding of the universe and has been extensively tested and validated through experiments and observations.