Net Force of a charged particle (Coulomb's Law)

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a physics problem and seeking help from others. They have made some mistakes in their calculations and are frustrated by it. One person points out their errors and offers encouragement.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I really can't see where I am going wrong here. I would latex out my work, but it would take way too long, so I have scanned it in. It should be easy enough to read though.

Its NUMBER 7, fig 21-22 Also the blurr says '100 nC'
Picture3-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Picture1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
crapass...

Last edited:
.The solution says .17 N and -.046 N but clearly mine arent even close. I have redone the problem twice and keep getting the same components

This is killing me! This should be simple vector addition, nothing more. I'm going to go smash something. . .

Well, I think the you got the -.046 thing correct, and the other answer looks to be .67... so i think its a typo error.

Neways, what did you smash?:wink:

Why did you put 0.025 in your denominator? I don't understand why you have it as 0.5a^2. a = 0.05 m. So that is the distance between Q3 and Q4 and Q3 and Q1.

I got the same answers as the book did.

Last edited:
hage567 said:
Why did you put 0.025 in your denominator? I don't understand by you have it as 0.5a^2. a = 0.05 m. So that is the distance between Q3 and Q4 and Q3 and Q1.

I got the same answers as the book did.

I am such a douchebag sometimes. Ya know. I see the variable r and I automatically this radius of circle and I cut it in half. Thanks hage.

lol, it happens. You're welcome.

I looks like you are making some silly mistakes. E.g. i) (5cm)^2=(0.05m)^2=0.0025m^2. Why are you using (0.025m)^2? ii) In F31 you have the charges as 100 and 100, shouldn't they be 100 and 200? Yeah, stuff like that does make me want to hit something. Usually myself. Don't do it.

Dick said:
I looks like you are making some silly mistakes. E.g. i) (5cm)^2=(0.05m)^2=0.0025m^2. Why are you using (0.025m)^2? ii) In F31 you have the charges as 100 and 100, shouldn't they be 100 and 200? Yeah, stuff like that does make me want to hit something. Usually myself. Don't do it.

:puts giant rubber mallet down: oh. . . okay :(

1. What is the formula for calculating the net force of a charged particle?

The formula for calculating the net force of a charged particle is Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the unit of measurement for net force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for net force in Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

3. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the net force between them?

According to Coulomb's Law, the net force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases.

4. Can the net force between two charged particles be negative?

Yes, the net force between two charged particles can be negative. This indicates an attractive force between particles with opposite charges, while a positive net force represents a repulsive force between particles with the same charges.

5. How does the net force between two charged particles change if the charges of the particles are doubled?

If the charges of the particles are doubled, the net force between them will also double. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges. For example, if the charges are tripled, the force will also triple.