Can Portable Air Conditioners Defy the Laws of Thermodynamics?

• Thread starter vertices
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a portable air conditioner and its potential violation of the second law of thermodynamics. It is mentioned that portable air conditioners must be vented to a separate area and have the option to collect condensate.
vertices
very silly question but i just went over to my friend's and he bought himself a portable air conditioner.

How do these things NOT violate the second law of thermodynamics?! The heat generated by the machine gets deposited to the surroundings (ie his room). Now this magnitude of heat released to the surroundings must be greater than the heat taken away from it by machine, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Portable air conditioners must be vented to an area separate from the area being cooled. I have a floor-model portable AC, and it vents through a large flexi-hose that is mounted on an adjustable panel that gets clamped under the lower pane of a window. The moisture from the condenser exits a hose in the back and goes into my cellar's floor drain, though there is an option to collect the condensate in an internal pan that you empty once a day or so.

oh i see. thanks for the info turbo-1.

1. How do portable air conditioners work?

Portable air conditioners work by pulling in warm air from an enclosed space and passing it through a cooling coil that contains a refrigerant. The refrigerant absorbs heat from the air and cools it down. The cooled air is then blown back into the room while the warm air is vented out through a hose or window.

2. Are portable air conditioners energy-efficient?

Compared to central air conditioning systems, portable air conditioners are generally less energy-efficient. However, they are more energy-efficient than traditional window units. Look for portable air conditioners with an Energy Star rating, which indicates they meet energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency.

3. How loud are portable air conditioners?

The noise level of a portable air conditioner can vary depending on the model and size. On average, they produce around 50-60 decibels, which is equivalent to a normal conversation or background music. Some models have a "sleep mode" that reduces noise levels for use during the night.

4. Can portable air conditioners cool large spaces?

The cooling capacity of a portable air conditioner is measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs). The higher the BTU, the larger the space it can cool. Most portable air conditioners range from 8,000 to 14,000 BTUs, which can cool rooms up to 500 square feet. For larger spaces, consider using multiple units or a central air conditioning system.

5. Do I need to drain the water from a portable air conditioner?

Some portable air conditioners have a built-in self-evaporative system that recycles and evaporates excess water, eliminating the need for manual draining. However, in high humidity environments or if the unit is continuously running, it may need to be drained periodically. Check the manufacturer's instructions for specific guidelines on draining the water from your portable air conditioner.