Comsol Multiphysics: Electric Double Layer Modeling

In summary: I can use to import my .dxf file into comsol?I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I am trying to model the electrical properties of a material. and I am having problems getting the material to load into my model. Can anyone help?In summary, the person is trying to model the electrical properties of a material, but is having problems getting the material to load into their model.
hoangpd
Hello everyone,
Does anybody use Comsol multiphysics here?
I am trying to model the electric double layer. If you have experience, please share with me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
yep, one of the foremost FE software packages our group is using nowadays (or well, the last 5-6 years think). What you've in mind?

Hi PerennialII and everyone in the forum,
Sorry for not getting back for so long 'cause I got the answer that I wanted. Now here's my new question. In Comsol, at the bottom corner on the right, there's a memory indicator. For example 145/172. What I know is that this is the virtual memory number. 145 is the current virtual memory usage, and 172 is the peak virtual memory usage.
The situation is that I often run out of memory, which I think is this kind of memory i.e. virtual memory. Is there anyway to tell Comsol to increase the allowed maximum memory?. My PC has 4MB of memory.
Thanks for your time.
Hoangpd

Hi hoangpd,

are you sure about those system specs ... 4 Mb? Increasing virtual memory otherwise (assuming you're running win) is something done by adjusting the settings & workings of the operating system (in win control panel -> system and from thereon). Comsol otherwise should just swallow everything available.

HI Perennial,
My RAM is 4GB instead of 4MB. It was a bad typo. Sorry!. Anyway, why is virtual memory being used when Comsol still has the physical memory to use? Or is Comsol that memory intensive that it uses all the physical memory the moment it runs?
Also, my operating system is 32bit if that helps you answer my question.
Hoangpd

If you're running windows it's probably easiest 1st to check the amount of virtual memory and increase it a somewhat if feasible (control panel -> system props -> advanced and virtual memory in there). If you're running linux or some related unix system you probably wouldn't have these issues at all :wink: (or well ... :biggrin: ). If that doesn't help, then the next thing could do is to start decreasing the amount of memory comsol is using to solve your model & problem (which means primarily solver parameters, and choosing as memory efficient solver as possible for the problem you're studying). Naturally, can try to modify the model trying to decrease the number of dofs and so on, but surely would be nice to find an another solution which would enable solving the model as is.

The memory "spill" to virtual memory likely has to do with the memory management of your OS (when talking win this is fairly common although have physical memory remaining). Also, could check if your system can allocate the whole 4 Gb (i.e. does it "show" at the OS, in win for example under system properties). In principle would think so, but sometimes other limitations come into play (like weird BIOS behavior).

I had solve this problem increasing the mesh size on the areas that are not of significance on the model. Also, maybe is due to the time step you are using, if it is a transient analysis.

Hi All,

I am trying to solve a problem where the solutions are expected to be zero for a very long time.

I have refined the mesh with the maximum element size of 0.002 and am using the GMRES method with preconditioning quality of 0.01.

However, inspite of it, the system is unable to process the solution and gives an error for residual computation citing singular matrix as the problem.

Can anyone please suggest some ways to solve the problem?

Akshay

I guess you are using Nernst Planck without electroneutrality and poisson equation.

I set the solver to linear and then it worked, otherwise convergence was bumping up and down

Hi All
I'm trying to model the boundary layer created by a heated plate due to bouyancy effect. and I want to find the velocity boundary layer data points along the vertical plate at u=0.99u(infinity). Does anyone know how to define this criteria in Comsol and get the data points?
thanks

hi,
i am a student of electrical engineering, and i am about to start working in comsol
(ac/dc module), can anybody tell me from where to start kinda like abc... when you
start learning english

Hi everyone.
I'm a beginner COMSOl mph user.
How can I implement the Landau-Lifgarbagez-Gilbert equation/model on
COMSOL mph??(for time dipendent micromagnetic modeling).
Is there any .pdf-tutorial/links etc. for this topic??

Every suggestion will be good!

THNKS

Hi All:

I'm trying to model barrier properties in flexible materials for food packaging specifically oxygen transmission rate, water vapor transmission rate & permeability. I'm using Comsol 3.5. Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this and select/import the materials in www.MATWEB.com.

Thanks

hi all!

I have problems with .dxf import in COMSOL..

even with the simplest 3d objects like sphere comsol import it as 2d image

.dxf file I've created in Maple13
does anybody know any other CAD program that can draw 3d surface by giving equation?

please help,
Alex

Hi everyone!
I have a problem in Comsol, whenever I run "compute" option in the program, komsol goes out. why ?... I have about 1GB of RAM ,аlso, my operating system is 32bit ...

I need help

Thanks!

Hi all!
I working in Comsol for the Structural Mechanics Modeling, particularly the Solid Mechanics problem. I need your help to solve a problem concerning the boundary condition. For exemple, i have a cube, in a face of this cube (e.x face // yz) i want to apply a boundary condition of type: Two shear stress equal to zero (sigma xy et sigma xz = 0) and the normal displacement equal to a number predefide (ex: 5e-3m). Note that i don't know the normal stress. I've searched in comsol but i didn't find the constraint in stress. Anyone can help me?

Thanks much!

Hello everyone!
I need to solve a time dependant one-dimentional diffusion equation on a finite interval. Is it possible to alter comsol's internal diffusion equation to add one more term to it in order for a value of the concentration gradient, that is calculated on one of the interval's edges, to be added to it at every point during calculation process?
Thanks

Click here to Reply or Forward

Hello Everyone,

I am a Mechanical undergraduate currently working on Heat transfer in microchannels. I am using COMSOL 3.4 for simulating the flow.

I am able to individually simulate the laminar flow and heat transfer modules and the results are encouraging.

I am facing problems in coupling the modules. The solution is not converging, Please guide me regarding the same

Thanks !

Hello
I'm working on a project on comsol, so I have been trying to simulate the movement of a nanoparticle inside a phantom using acoustic pressure but I couldn't manage to do it... does anyone have any idea how to start?
Thanks

lol this thread obvious comes up on Google.

Hi everybody
I want to model shape memory alloys in comsol. but i have some problems. could anyone help me?
tnx

1. What is Comsol Multiphysics?

Comsol Multiphysics is a software platform that allows scientists and engineers to simulate and analyze complex physical systems using mathematical models. It offers a wide range of modules for various types of physics, including the Electric Double Layer Modeling module.

2. What is Electric Double Layer Modeling?

Electric Double Layer Modeling is a module within Comsol Multiphysics that enables the simulation of electrochemical systems, including the behavior of charged particles near a solid-liquid interface. It is commonly used in applications such as batteries, fuel cells, and capacitors.

3. What are the key features of the Electric Double Layer Modeling module?

The Electric Double Layer Modeling module offers several key features, including the ability to simulate ion and electron transport, electrochemical reactions, and charge transfer processes. It also allows for the manipulation of parameters such as electrolyte concentration, electrode properties, and applied potential.

4. How accurate are the results from Electric Double Layer Modeling simulations?

The accuracy of the results from Electric Double Layer Modeling simulations depends on several factors, such as the complexity of the system being simulated, the quality of the input data, and the chosen modeling approach. However, Comsol Multiphysics is known for its robust and reliable simulation capabilities, and with proper setup and validation, the results can be highly accurate.

5. Can the Electric Double Layer Modeling module be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the Electric Double Layer Modeling module can be used for educational purposes, such as in teaching electrochemistry or in research projects for students. Comsol Multiphysics offers a free Comsol Education License for academic institutions, allowing students and educators to access the full range of features and modules, including the Electric Double Layer Modeling module.