Distributions and delta function

In summary, a distribution in mathematics is a generalization of a function used to represent and manipulate objects that cannot be described by a single function. The delta function is a type of distribution that is often used in physics and engineering to model point-like objects or events. It is related to distributions as it can be considered a limit of increasingly narrow and tall functions. Some properties of the delta function include symmetry and the fact that its area under the curve is equal to 1. The delta function is used in various applications such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and probability theory, to model impulsive events and define operations on more general functions.
jadoo.dost
where can I read about distributions and the delta function. esp. to solve singular integrals.
I have seen that you could write

1/x = [tex]\delta [/tex] (x) + P.V (1/x)

and all that stuff.. where can i read about it ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a distribution in mathematics?

A distribution in mathematics is a generalization of a function that allows for the representation and manipulation of objects that cannot be described by a single function. It is often used in the study of differential equations and functional analysis.

2. What is the delta function?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is defined to be zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point-like objects or events.

3. How is the delta function related to distributions?

The delta function is a type of distribution. It is used to represent a distribution that is concentrated at a single point. It can be thought of as a limit of a sequence of functions that become increasingly narrow and tall.

4. What are some properties of the delta function?

Some properties of the delta function include the fact that it is symmetric, i.e. δ(x) = δ(-x), and that it is an even function, i.e. δ(x) = δ(-x). It also has the property that ∫δ(x)dx = 1, which can be thought of as the area under the curve of the delta function.

5. How is the delta function used in applications?

The delta function is used in a variety of applications, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and probability theory. It is often used to model impulsive forces or events, and is also used in the theory of distributions to define operations on more general functions.