Bachelors in AE and Masters in CS

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's dilemma between choosing a master's degree in either Aerospace Engineering (AE) or Computer Science (CS). The student is unsure which one to pick and needs help deciding. They also inquire about the interaction between the two subjects, job prospects with a bachelor's degree in AE and a master's degree in CS, and the chances of finding a job after graduation if they choose CS. The conversation also mentions that the student is currently doing their bachelor's at Ga Tech and is considering going to Carnegie Melon or Ga Tech for their master's degree. The expert suggests that while AE and CS may not have a strong interaction, a combination of degrees could be advantageous for working in aerospace companies that heavily rely on simulation
bro6789
I am a second year AE major. I am also doing a minor in CS. I want to do masters in either AE or CS..and I am seriously not sure about which one to pick and need some help in deciding.
The questions are
1] How well do these 2 subjects [AE and CS] interact with each other
2] Will I find a well paying job with a bachelors degree in AE and masters degree in CS
3] Will my chances of finding a job immediately after graduation increase/decrease if I pick CS
[I mean..will I be able to find jobs in both AE and CS]

Additional info: I am doing my bachelors at Ga Tech..and I am planning on going to Carnegie Melon for my masters [in case of CS] or Ga Tech [if I pick AE]...

Thanks
bro6789

Physics news on Phys.org
The only ways they really interact are when you have to program MATLAB simulations or make your own FEA programs for some specialized analysis. They aren't as closely-knit as say EE and CS. That said, my guess (which I feel is an educated one) is that such a combination of degrees would be advantageous if you're looking to work for one of the big aerospace companies that do a LOT of simulation work before even building a prototype. An increasing amount of simulation work will continue to be the trend in the future because of the amazing reduction in computing costs.

Will CS be a useful degree for that? It's hard to tell. I always viewed CS as an applied math degree that was extremely theoretical rather than pragmatic and teaching you how to program. Most of the work I'm talking about is fairly simple on a conceptual level, with the hard part being deriving the numerical approximations to all those PDE's you see in engineering.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Go yellow jackets! (I'm a grad student at GT)

bro6789 said:
I am a second year AE major. I am also doing a minor in CS. I want to do masters in either AE or CS..and I am seriously not sure about which one to pick and need some help in deciding.
The questions are
1] How well do these 2 subjects [AE and CS] interact with each other
2] Will I find a well paying job with a bachelors degree in AE and masters degree in CS
3] Will my chances of finding a job immediately after graduation increase/decrease if I pick CS
[I mean..will I be able to find jobs in both AE and CS]

Additional info: I am doing my bachelors at Ga Tech..and I am planning on going to Carnegie Melon for my masters [in case of CS] or Ga Tech [if I pick AE]...

Thanks
bro6789

Bachelors in AE maybe not.

Masters in AE...Yes.

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's in AE and a Master's in CS?

A Bachelor's in AE (Aerospace Engineering) focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and spacecraft. A Master's in CS (Computer Science) focuses on the use of computers and technology to solve complex problems and develop new software and applications.

2. Can I pursue a Master's in CS with a Bachelor's in AE degree?

Yes, you can pursue a Master's in CS with a Bachelor's in AE degree, but you may be required to take some prerequisite courses in computer science or programming before starting the program.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Bachelor's in AE and a Master's in CS?

With this combination of degrees, you could pursue a career in aerospace engineering, software engineering, computer systems design, data analysis, or research and development in the aerospace or technology industries.

4. How long does it take to complete a Bachelor's in AE and a Master's in CS?

The duration of a Bachelor's in AE program is typically 4 years, while a Master's in CS program can take an additional 1-2 years to complete. However, the total time may vary depending on the specific program and whether you choose to pursue the degrees in a traditional or accelerated format.

5. Is it beneficial to have both a Bachelor's in AE and a Master's in CS?

Having both a Bachelor's in AE and a Master's in CS can provide a unique combination of skills that can be highly beneficial in the aerospace and technology industries. It can also open up a wider range of career opportunities and potentially lead to higher-paying positions.