Graduate School Advice Needed: Where to Apply with my stats & backup schools

In summary, for backup schools in your search for physics graduate programs, consider University of California, Santa Barbara, University of Maryland, College Park, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, University of Colorado, Denver, and University of Wisconsin, Madison, as well as smaller liberal arts colleges such as Swarthmore, Williams, and Amherst.
nikkilou
Graduate School Advice Needed: Where to Apply with my stats & "backup" schools

As an undergraduate I've studied engineering physics. It seems in general that graduate students in engineering have a lower gpa than those in physics or math. I have since decided I would like to do physics research and will be applying to physics graduate programs in the next month. While I know my top choices (CU-Boulder and UIUC) I am still investigating some more realistic schools and would like input. If anyone knows of schools I should consider as backups or has gotten into schools and has statistics similar to mine please let me know. Thanks.

Undergraduate Institute: Small State School known for engineering
Major: Engineering Physics
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.40
GPA in last year: 3.63
Research: 1 REU in Bioengineering
Other work: 9 month position as mechanical engineer, tutor
Extras: 3 season Student athlete, SPS, EWB

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue physics research and your top choices of CU-Boulder and UIUC. Those are both excellent programs with strong research opportunities.

In terms of backup schools, I would recommend looking into the following options:

1. University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB): This school has a strong physics program and is known for its research in condensed matter physics. Your background in engineering could be a valuable asset in this field.

2. University of Maryland, College Park: Another top physics program with a focus on condensed matter physics and strong research opportunities. They also have a strong engineering program, so your background could be a good fit here as well.

3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: This school has a highly regarded physics program and offers a wide range of research opportunities in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, and quantum science.

4. University of Colorado, Denver: Another strong physics program with a focus on experimental research. Your experience in bioengineering could be useful in this field.

5. University of Wisconsin, Madison: This school has a well-respected physics program with a variety of research opportunities, including in the fields of biophysics and quantum science.

In addition to these schools, I would also recommend considering some smaller, liberal arts colleges that have strong physics programs and may offer more personalized attention and research opportunities. Some options to look into are Swarthmore College, Williams College, and Amherst College.

I hope this helps in your search for backup schools. Best of luck with your applications!

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a career in physics research! It's important to have a well-rounded list of schools to apply to, so it's great that you are seeking advice on potential backup options.

Based on your stats, I would recommend considering schools such as University of Maryland, College Park, University of Minnesota, and Ohio State University. These schools have strong physics programs and may be more realistic options for you. Additionally, you may want to look into smaller, lesser-known schools that may have professors doing research in your specific areas of interest.

It's also important to note that your research experience and extracurricular activities will play a significant role in your application. Make sure to highlight these experiences and how they have prepared you for graduate level research.

Lastly, don't be discouraged if you don't get into your top choices. Graduate school admissions can be competitive, and there are many great programs out there. Remember to keep an open mind and consider all of your options. Best of luck with your applications!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing where to apply for graduate school?

When deciding on graduate schools to apply to, it is important to consider the program's reputation, faculty expertise, available resources and funding, location, and fit for your research interests and career goals. You should also consider the competitiveness of the program and your chances of being accepted.

2. What are the most important components of a strong graduate school application?

A strong graduate school application typically includes a high undergraduate GPA, strong letters of recommendation, relevant research experience, a well-written personal statement, and a competitive GRE score. Additionally, some programs may require additional materials such as a writing sample, portfolio, or interview.

3. How many backup schools should I apply to?

It is recommended to apply to at least 4-6 backup schools in addition to your top choices. This will increase your chances of being accepted into at least one program and give you options in case you are not accepted into your top choices.

4. Is it better to apply to a highly ranked program or a program with a specific focus on my research interests?

This depends on your individual goals and priorities. Highly ranked programs may offer more resources and prestige, but a program with a specific focus on your research interests may provide a more tailored and enriching experience. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and choose the program that best aligns with your goals.

5. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

In addition to a strong application, you can improve your chances of being accepted into graduate school by networking with faculty and current students, gaining relevant research experience, and taking advantage of opportunities for leadership and involvement in your field. It is also important to start preparing for the application process early and having a clear understanding of your career goals and how graduate school will help you achieve them.