Ricci tensor along a Killing vector

In summary: If you're talking about a tensor quantity (like the Riemann or Weyl tensors), then the directional covariant derivative is always nonzero, but the conjugate transpose is zero.
La Guinee
In Carrol's text, he shows that the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar is zero along a Killing vector. He then goes on to say something about how this intuitively justifies our notion of geometry not changing along a Killing vector. This same informal reasoning would seem to imply that the Ricci tensor (and Riemann tensor for that matter) is covariantly constant along a Killing vector. However, Carroll has no discussion of this, nor can I find it in any other source (which leads me to think it's probably not true). My question is:
Is the covariant derivative of the Ricci tensor zero along a Killing vector? If so, how does one show this? If not, is there a conceptual way of understanding this and/or what is a counterexample? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
La Guinee said:
...the Ricci tensor (and Riemann tensor for that matter) is covariantly constant along a Killing vector.
I expect so, but I couldn't prove it myself. But, after all, the Killing vector generates an isometry of the manifold, and the Ricci tensor is defined entirely in terms of the metric. Good luck!

Dave

You need to use Lie derivatives for it to work out. For example,

[tex]
0 = \mathcal{L}_\xi R_{ab} = \xi^c \nabla_c R_{ab} + 2 R_{c(a} \nabla_{b)} \xi^c
[/tex]

The same thing works for the Riemann or Weyl tensors.

Stingray said:
You need to use Lie derivatives for it to work out. For example,

[tex]
0 = \mathcal{L}_\xi R_{ab} = \xi^c \nabla_c R_{ab} + 2 R_{c(a} \nabla_{b)} \xi^c
[/tex]

The same thing works for the Riemann or Weyl tensors.

So it is zero then?

Yes, Lie derivatives of curvature tensors with respect to Killing fields are always zero. The directional covariant derivative is not zero unless you're talking about a scalar quantity (like the Ricci scalar).

1. What is the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector?

The Ricci tensor along a Killing vector is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that describes the curvature of a space-time along a specific direction defined by a Killing vector. It is a measure of how the geometry of a space-time changes when it is dragged along the direction of the Killing vector.

2. How is the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector calculated?

The Ricci tensor along a Killing vector is calculated using the Killing equation, which relates the Killing vector to the metric tensor of a space-time. The metric tensor is then used to calculate the Riemann curvature tensor, which in turn is used to calculate the Ricci tensor along the Killing vector.

3. What is the significance of the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector?

The Ricci tensor along a Killing vector is significant because it is a conserved quantity in a space-time with a Killing vector. This means that it remains unchanged under certain transformations, which can be used to simplify equations and make calculations easier. It also provides important information about the geometry of a space-time and its symmetries.

4. How is the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector is used to study the symmetries of a space-time and to solve Einstein's field equations. It is also used in the study of black holes and other objects with high symmetries, where the presence of a Killing vector simplifies the calculations and allows for a better understanding of the physical properties of these objects.

5. Can the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector be zero?

Yes, the Ricci tensor along a Killing vector can be zero in certain cases. This occurs when the space-time has a high degree of symmetry, such as in the case of a vacuum solution in general relativity. In these cases, the Ricci tensor along the Killing vector is zero because the space-time is invariant under the transformation defined by the Killing vector.