Is Wearing a Toga to Class Beneficial for Student Learning and Focus?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student who is excited to start their TAship and is considering wearing a toga to class. They discuss the benefits of being a TA, including higher pay and flexible hours. They also mention studies showing that wearing togas can increase student focus and grades. The conversation also touches on the differences in TA pay and responsibilities at different universities.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So hopefully next semester i'll start my TAship and I'm faced with the question that has probably faced every TA before me. Do i wear a toga school from now on? Maybe at least to the first week of lab or first day? Studies1 have shown that lecturer's wearing togas and other ancient clothing increases student focus 10% and grades 15%.

DSCF98711.jpg

Grad student wearing a toga.

1. http://www.science.com/my_dream_last_night.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be a TA, HAAA-HAAA.

Cyrus said:

*GET. I GET to be a TA. I get the privilege of babysitting undergrads for slightly over minimum wage and 0 access to a refrigerator full of food.

Pengwuino said:
*GET. I GET to be a TA. I get the privilege of babysitting undergrads for slightly over minimum wage and 0 access to a refrigerator full of food.

Hahaha, enjoy it. Someday you'll get an RA, like a real man. You should be an aerospace engineer. Were going to NASA langley, and instead of driving all the way down the CEO of the company is going to fly us there in his personal airplane. There's still time to change you know... I'm just saying.

Our university isn't a research university, just a masters program, and thus, no RA's.

I don't know what's so great about getting a TAship. I could go get a real part-time job for more money.

Pengwuino said:
I don't know what's so great about getting a TAship. I could go get a real part-time job for more money.

My friend has been working as a TA and making quite a bit of money. Maybe it has to do with the class and the school.

Cyrus said:

I get paid like $27 an hour for being a TA, and will be up to $30 an hour next year.

Only an idiot wouldn't TA over here. Get 10 hours a week, and you lock in $300 a week. Not even including everything else.

Wow, that's some pretty good pay...I wish I made that much at my job! (Heck I would settle making half of what you make)

Pengwuino said:
SDo i wear a toga school from now on?
Only for classical mechanics

JasonRox said:
I get paid like $27 an hour for being a TA, and will be up to $30 an hour next year.

Only an idiot wouldn't TA over here. Get 10 hours a week, and you lock in $300 a week. Not even including everything else.

Wow, those are good hourly rates. Here its min wage.

Does it include preparation/marking time - or only 'in front of the student' hours?
That's why I always did lab demonstrating - it's all paid time.

JasonRox said:

forgive me for asking a stupid question, so that hourly rate is on top of the stipend?

mgb_phys said:
Does it include preparation/marking time - or only 'in front of the student' hours?
That's why I always did lab demonstrating - it's all paid time.

I get paid for everything. Prep, marking and everything. Usually they allocate hours for marking but usually they give you more hours than required, so I'm making free money. This only works if you're experienced.

Yes, it's on top of the money they already give me.

Screw the money. If you get to wear a toga to work, it's worth it!

1. Can I wear a toga to class?

Yes, you can wear a toga to class as long as your school's dress code or rules allow it.

2. What is the proper way to wear a toga?

The proper way to wear a toga is to drape a long piece of fabric over one shoulder, then wrap it around your body and tuck it in at the waist. You can also use a belt or sash to secure the toga in place.

3. Do I need a specific type of fabric for a toga?

No, you can use any lightweight, flowy fabric such as a bedsheet, tablecloth, or even a large scarf to make a toga. Just make sure the fabric is long enough to wrap around your body at least once.

4. Can I wear a toga to a formal event or only to class?

Togas are traditionally worn for formal events, such as toga parties or Roman-themed events. However, you can also wear a toga to class as a fun and unique way to dress up for the day.

5. Are there any cultural or historical implications to wearing a toga?

Yes, the toga is a traditional garment worn by ancient Romans. It was a symbol of citizenship and social status, and only male citizens were allowed to wear it. In modern times, the toga has become a popular costume and is no longer tied to its original cultural significance.