Inductance in Kirchoff's voltage law

In summary, the direction of induced voltage in an inductor is determined by its relationship to the external circuit, with the voltage being in a direction that opposes the change of current in the external circuit. This is similar to how resistors oppose the flow of current in the external circuit. While including a minus sign in equations related to induced voltage is often done to reflect Lenz's law, it is not necessary unless a reference direction for the voltage is also given. This is similar to how the formula for frictional force is often written with a minus sign, but it is not necessary as long as the direction of the force is correctly shown on the free body diagram.
naftali
Hi,

when summing the votages when using Kirchoff's voltage law around some loop, why do anywhere they take L(dI/dt) as the voltage fall on the inductance (if we sum the voltage in the current direction)?
If I understand well , if there is a current in some direction, the induced voltage (according to Lenz's law) will be in the opposite direction, so it will tend to cancel the original current, so the voltage will be -L(dI/dt).

Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on whether the inductor is receiving energy, or delivering it.

Claude

cabraham said:
It depends on whether the inductor is receiving energy, or delivering it.

Can you explain? suppose the inductor is a solenoid, when does it recives or delivers energy?
(I'm talking about DC)

People often like to get pedantic about including a minus sign in all equations related to induced voltage, so as to reflect Lenz's Law, but in reality the minus sign is entirely meaningless unless a reference direction for the voltage is also given. Include a minus sign if you wish but then you must also change the reference direction for that voltage so that it's the opposite of what we use for resistors. That would be confusing though, so better not to bother.

In fact we also write V = RI for a resistor when there is every bit as stronger case for the minus sign here (as in V = -RI ). After all, the voltage drop accoss a resistor is certainly always in such a direction so as to oppose the current flow in the external circuit! This is not really any different to Lenz's law except that for resistors it's the current that's opposed directly rather than it's rate of change.

Last edited:
uart said:
In fact we also write V = RI for a resistor when there is every bit as stronger case for the minus sign here (as in V = -RI ). After all, the voltage drop accoss a resistor is certainly always in such a direction so as to oppose the current flow in the external circuit!

I don't understand why, if I understand well, the voltage drop is positive when going from positive to negative (relative) voltage, and that is the direction of the current too.
Isn't that right?

naftali said:
I don't understand why, if I understand well, the voltage drop is positive when going from positive to negative (relative) voltage, and that is the direction of the current too.
Isn't that right?

Yes and that is precisely the direction of voltage that opposes the flow of current in the external circuit. So this really is exactly the same as for an inductor as per Lenz's law, except you'd replace "opposes the flow of current" for the resistor with "opposes the change in current" for an inductor.

The bottom line is this. If you were to write V = -L di/dt then you'd also have to write V = -RI or else you'd end up with two inconsistent reference directions for the voltage of resistors and inductors.

As an analogy (if you're familiar with mechanical systems) we might well insist that the formula for frictional force is never written as F = u N but always as F = -u N to reflect the fact that frictional forces always oppose the direction of motion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this, it's just you'd have to show the frictional force (on your free body diagram for example) as being in the direction of motion and then ascribe a negative value to that force. Most people would just prefer that the force is drawn in the direction that it actually acts and has a positive value.

Last edited:
First, thanks for the answers.

uart said:
Yes and that direction of voltage opposes the flow of current in the external circuit.

I think that I miss something basic.
I attach a simple circuit, the direction of the curret in the external circuit is marked by the arrow. I can't understand : why will the current in the resistor be in the opposite direction?

Attachments

• cir.JPG
    cir.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 588
I can't yet see your attachment naftali, but let me tell you what you're missing. It's the same mistake that very many people make when trying to apply Lenz's law. The direction of the induced voltage is in a direction which opposes the change of current in the external circuit. Now that's the third time I've said it and the second time I've highlighted it (italics before and now bold). I can not overstate the importance of understanding this aspect.

Don't look at the direction of that voltage with respect to the inductor (or resistor) internally but instead look at it in relation to the external circuit (the rest of the circuit). This is how Lenz's law is supposed to be applied and it's a very important thing to understand.

Last edited:
naftali said:
Hi,

when summing the votages when using Kirchoff's voltage law around some loop, why do anywhere they take L(dI/dt) as the voltage fall on the inductance (if we sum the voltage in the current direction)?
If I understand well , if there is a current in some direction, the induced voltage (according to Lenz's law) will be in the opposite direction, so it will tend to cancel the original current, so the voltage will be -L(dI/dt).

Am I wrong?
If you have an inductance and resistance in series, and a current I0 sin(wt), then the total voltage drop is
V(wt) = I0R sin(wt) + I0 L (d/dt) sin(wt)
V(wt) = I0R sin(wt) + I0 L w cos(wt)
V(w) = I(w) R + j w L I(w)

where w = 2 pi f and j means 90 degree phase shift.

Bob S

What is inductance in Kirchoff's voltage law?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes how an electrical current creates a magnetic field. It is measured in Henrys (H) and is represented by the symbol L. In Kirchoff's voltage law, inductance refers to the voltage drop across an inductor in the circuit.

How does inductance affect Kirchoff's voltage law?

Inductance affects Kirchoff's voltage law by causing a voltage drop in the circuit. This is because when current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field, which in turn resists the change in current. This resistance results in a voltage drop across the inductor, which is taken into account in Kirchoff's voltage law.

What is the relationship between inductance and current in Kirchoff's voltage law?

The relationship between inductance and current in Kirchoff's voltage law is described by the equation V = L * di/dt, where V is the voltage drop across the inductor, L is the inductance, and di/dt is the rate of change of current. This equation shows that the larger the inductance, the higher the voltage drop for a given rate of change of current.

How is inductance represented in Kirchoff's voltage law equation?

In Kirchoff's voltage law equation, inductance is represented by the symbol L. This is because inductance is a property of the circuit that affects the voltage drop, and therefore must be taken into account in the equation.

Why is inductance important in Kirchoff's voltage law?

Inductance is important in Kirchoff's voltage law because it is a fundamental property of electrical circuits that affects the voltage drop. By considering inductance, we can accurately calculate the voltage drop in a circuit and ensure that Kirchoff's voltage law is satisfied, which is crucial for the proper functioning of the circuit.