How to Calculate the Scale of Venus's Atmosphere Using the Barometer Equation

• Thread starter Unto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Barometer
In summary, the conversation discusses the method for determining the scale of Venus's atmosphere using the barometer equation. It involves finding the value of M, which is the mass of the CO2 gas in the atmosphere, and plugging it into the equation along with other known values such as surface pressure and temperature. The final answer for the height h is determined to be 6.37E-5m. The conversation also mentions some confusion and questions about the calculations.
Unto
Venus's atmosphere is made up of CO2 which has a mean molecular weight of 44 atomic mass units. Given that the lower planetary temperature is 730K, use the barometer equation to determine the scale of Venus's atmosphere (the height at which pressure drops to 1/e of the surface pressure. Take the mass and radius of Venus to be 4.8E24kg and 6050km respectively

----------------------------------------------------

P = Ps e^(-Mgh/RT)

I need to find h

where Ps is surface pressure. The first thing I did was find g of Venus using a gravitational equation and I got 8.75ms-2.

R and T are simple. M is problematic... Wouldn't I need the total mass of all the CO2 gas?

And I can cancel out the P and Ps because I know that P is Ps x (1/e). So the Ps cancels and I'm left with 1/e on the left side. However when I anti-log I'm left with a -1, so if I even get to finding the height it would end up being negative.

I'm doing something horrible wrong here but I don't what.

Help please.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
K so I've been a stupid boy again and I forgot the other negative on the right side. Now all I have is M to solve... How do I get M? M is the masses of the gas CO2 right? But I must have like trillions of CO2 molecules all with molecular mass 44... What do I do?

K I looked somewhere and it said the M is just the mass of the gas... so I assume that if one atomic mass is of the order 1.64E-27, then I multiply by 44.

My final answer for h is 6.37E-5m.

Is this correct? I know 1/e is a small number anyway.. but is it?

Any help for this one?

1. What is the Barometer equation and how is it used?

The Barometer equation, also known as the hydrostatic equation, is a fundamental equation in atmospheric science that relates the pressure, density, and height of a column of air. It is used to calculate the atmospheric pressure at a given height in the atmosphere, assuming the air is in hydrostatic equilibrium.

2. Why is the Barometer equation important in weather forecasting?

The Barometer equation is important in weather forecasting because it helps us understand how atmospheric pressure changes with height, which is a key factor in determining weather patterns. By using this equation, meteorologists can make predictions about the movement and behavior of weather systems.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Barometer equation?

The Barometer equation assumes that the air is in hydrostatic equilibrium, which means that the force of gravity is balanced by the pressure gradient force. It also assumes that the temperature and density of the air are constant, and that the air behaves like an ideal gas.

4. How is the Barometer equation related to the concept of air pressure?

The Barometer equation is directly related to the concept of air pressure. It states that as the height in the atmosphere increases, the pressure decreases. This is because the weight of the air above decreases with height, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

5. Can the Barometer equation be used to measure the pressure of other fluids besides air?

Yes, the Barometer equation can be used to measure the pressure of any fluid, as long as the fluid is in hydrostatic equilibrium and behaves like an ideal gas. This equation has been applied to measure pressure in liquids as well as gases.