Need a Logic book recommendation.

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is skipping the undergraduate introductory course for logic and wants to get a head start by reading some of the missed material. They are looking for a book that is introductory enough to cover the undergrad course and provide a good basis for the grad course. The suggested books are Introduction to Logic and Symbolic Logic, which may also cover model theory. The second book is more difficult and uses unconventional notation.
cap.r
Hey so I am doing a grad course on logic and skipping the undergrad introductory course. My friends have said that I will be fine but I want to get a head start and read some of what I missed in the undergrad class. here is the description for it.

Elementary development of propositional and predicate logic, including semantics and deductive systems and with a discussion of completeness, incompleteness and the decision problem.

the grad class has this description

Sentential logic, first-order languages, models and formal deductions. Basic model theory including completeness and compactness theorems, other methods of constructing models, and applications such as non-standard analysis.

So I want a book that is introductory enough to cover the undergrad course and give me a good basis for the grad course. I have never done any logic studies so this is all brand new to me.

thanks,
RK

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest you get a set of two books:

Introduction to Logic (Copi, Cohen)
Symbolic Logic (Copi)

They should provide a sufficiently good introduction, and the second a nice way to deal with a lot of the material in the grad course. Note, though, that the second book uses slightly unconventional notation, and is significantly more difficult than the first. I don't remember whether or not it covers model theory, either.

(I'm also not sure for which type of course you're asking this, so take this as a general recommendation, for what it's worth.)

I recommend "A Concise Introduction to Logic" by Patrick Hurley. This book covers both propositional and predicate logic, as well as model theory and formal deductions. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it suitable for both undergrad and grad students. Additionally, it includes exercises and examples to help reinforce the concepts learned. I believe this book would be a good starting point for your studies in logic.

1) What is the best logic book for beginners?

The best logic book for beginners will depend on your specific interests and goals. Some popular options include "Logic: A Very Short Introduction" by Graham Priest, "Introduction to Logic" by Harry J. Gensler, and "A Concise Introduction to Logic" by Patrick Hurley. It's important to browse through different books and read reviews to find one that suits your learning style.

2) Are there any logic books that cover both formal and informal logic?

Yes, there are several logic books that cover both formal and informal logic. Some examples include "Logic and Philosophy: A Modern Introduction" by Alan Hausman and Howard Kahane, "Logic: Techniques of Formal Reasoning" by Donald Kalish and Richard Montague, and "An Introduction to Formal Logic" by Peter Smith.

3) Can you recommend a logic book with exercises and practice problems?

Yes, there are many logic books that include exercises and practice problems to help you apply your understanding. Some options include "A Workbook for Arguments: A Complete Course in Critical Thinking" by David R. Morrow and Anthony Weston, "Logic: Techniques of Formal Reasoning" by Donald Kalish and Richard Montague, and "Essential Logic: Basic Reasoning Skills for the 21st Century" by Ronald C. Pine.

4) What is the best logic book for self-study?

The best logic book for self-study will depend on your learning style and experience with the subject. Some popular options for self-study include "The Power of Logic" by Frances Howard-Snyder, Daniel Howard-Snyder, and Ryan Wasserman, "Introduction to Logic" by Harry J. Gensler, and "Logic: A Very Short Introduction" by Graham Priest. It's important to read reviews and preview the book to make sure it aligns with your self-study goals.

5) Are there any logic books that cover both classical and symbolic logic?

Yes, there are several logic books that cover both classical and symbolic logic. Some examples include "Introduction to Logic" by Harry J. Gensler, which covers both traditional and modern symbolic logic, and "Logic: The Laws of Truth" by Nicholas J.J. Smith, which covers classical logic as well as modern developments in logic. It's important to read the book's description to make sure it covers both classical and symbolic logic before purchasing.