Who uses University Physics by Young?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difficulty and frustration with a physics textbook, particularly in regards to the examples and assigned problems. The conversation also mentions the high cost of the book and suggests using other resources to supplement the material. Ultimately, the conversation concludes by emphasizing the importance of developing analytical thinking and problem-solving skills in a first-year physics course.
cdotter
Is it just me or is this book complete ****? I've only read the second chapter on velocity and acceleration but it's horrible. The examples use algebraic formulas and are nothing like the assigned problems. I remember one the questions asks to find the initial velocity and initial position of a function [itex]x(t)=a + b\cdot t - c\cdot t^2[/itex], where a is initial position, b is initial velocity, and c is initial acceleration.

The book doesn't mention what a, b, and c are. Instead, it's left up to the reader to magically figure it out? I don't know how a student can be expected to learn from this textbook when everything is obtuse.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes getting started is difficult until you see an approach.

This problem is as straightforward as a problem gets. Just recall that velocity is the derivative of positon with respect to time and you'll be on your way to a quick solution. Other portions of the text may be quite obtuse...good luck, don't give up.

Naty1 said:
Sometimes getting started is difficult until you see an approach.

This problem is as straightforward as a problem gets. Just recall that velocity is the derivative of positon with respect to time and you'll be on your way to a quick solution. Other portions of the text may be quite obtuse...good luck, don't give up.

I hate how the example problems are completely worthless. In my calculus and chemistry textbooks, there are a few good example problems for each subsection in a chapter. In this book, there is one half-assed example that uses no calculus and is nothing like the problems at the end. I can't believe this is 1. a $200 book 2. so "highly" recommended and 3. required for this course.

Last edited:
cdotter said:
Is it just me or is this book complete ****? I've only read the second chapter on velocity and acceleration but it's horrible. The examples use algebraic formulas and are nothing like the assigned problems. I remember one the questions asks to find the initial velocity and initial position of a function [itex]x(t)=a + b\cdot t - c\cdot t^2[/itex], where a is initial position, b is initial velocity, and c is initial acceleration.

The book doesn't mention what a, b, and c are. Instead, it's left up to the reader to magically figure it out? I don't know how a student can be expected to learn from this textbook when everything is obtuse.

I used this book in my intro physics courses and I also read various other books at that level. The thing that at level there is only one book that has many different cover. I think Young UP is good for what it is. If you want a real mechanics text use. An Introduction To Mechanics (Hardcover)by Daniel Kleppner.

As for that problem the point is to make you think about dimensional analysis. it is a nice intro exercise.

Initial means t=0. Position is x, velocity is dx/dt. a, b, c are numbers that don't depend on time. Give your answer in terms of a, b and c.

Yes, it's horrible that it costs $200. I'd bet Young would agree.

I'm currently using it for E&M. I felt the exact same way about it as you did when studying mechanics. My best advice would be to use wikipedia, and wolfram science world to "compare" explanations with the ones provided by the book.

I had to get the book as well but it had the accompanying online homework called "mastering physics" that came with it. It was part of our curriculum so we had to do it but I eventually realized the example problems in the book were pretty much the "hold your hand" type even though they were very ideal and limited, while the mastering physics problems, while still ideal and still having a sense of heavy guidance, were much better suited to the task of allowing you to practice real test problems. The teacher would even occasionally put a question or two reworded from the online homework onto the test. I don't know how it would work if you weren't supposed to get it but it's worth looking into. Or perhaps the solutions manual for the chapter problems.

Another thing, I used in ap chem a chemistry book that had example problems that were pretty much cut and paste to the ones in the chapter problems. Physics isn't going to be like that at all (mine certainly wasn't), so don't expect it to be. That was my initial mistaken assumption.

University Physics aims to introduce you to physics at the university level. That means, unlike (some of) high school, that you will have to think about problems, instead of looking up some formulae and plug in numbers, or copying a worked example.

All information to solve this problem is contained in the chapter.

If you want an alternative, I like Tipler's book. However, Young/Freedman is a standard text and is self contained for most of its problems. Your first physics course is meant to introduce you to analytical thinking and problem solving skills(which can not be taught from any text, nor teacher) so instead of blaming your text, you should put more effort into absorbing and reflecting on the material.

1. Who typically uses University Physics by Young?

University Physics by Young is typically used by undergraduate students studying physics or engineering. It is also used by professors and instructors as a textbook for their courses.

2. Is University Physics by Young suitable for self-study?

Yes, University Physics by Young is suitable for self-study as it provides a comprehensive and clear explanation of fundamental physics concepts and includes practice problems and exercises to test understanding.

3. Is University Physics by Young suitable for non-physics majors?

Yes, University Physics by Young is suitable for non-physics majors as it presents concepts in a clear and accessible manner without assuming prior knowledge. It also includes real-life applications to make the material more relevant and interesting.

4. What sets University Physics by Young apart from other physics textbooks?

University Physics by Young is known for its clear and concise writing style, its use of real-world examples and applications, and its extensive use of illustrations and diagrams to aid in understanding. It also includes interactive online resources and tools for students to further engage with the material.

5. Is University Physics by Young used in universities worldwide?

Yes, University Physics by Young is used in universities worldwide, including top-ranked institutions such as Harvard, MIT, and Oxford. It has been translated into multiple languages and is a widely recognized and respected textbook in the field of physics.