A matrix multiplied by it's inverse is the identity matrix, right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the inverse of a matrix A in order to solve the equation A*?=b. One person suggests dividing the matrix by its determinant, while another provides the correct formula for the inverse. The person seeking help confirms trying both solutions but still getting an incorrect answer. In the end, it is suggested to double-check that the correct matrix is being used.
krtica
Matrix A= 2x2, R1= -1, -1, R2= -7, 3
Matrix b= 2x2, R1= 1,0, R2= 0, 1

A*?=b

To solve, I put ? on the one side of the equation as ?=A^(-1)b. My answer is then just the inverse of A, because what is multiplied by the identity matrix is itself. It is shown to be incorrect.

?=2x2, R1= -3, -1, R2= -7, -1

Please help! I would like this to become more intuitive.
Also, is there a way to format matrices on the forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate the inverse? The matrix you wrote for ? isn't the inverse of A.

You just forgot to divide by the determinant of A when you calculated the inverse. You can click on the equation below to see how to write a matrix in tex.

[tex]A^{-1}=\left [
\begin{array}{cc}
-\frac 3 4&-\frac 1 4\\

-\frac 7 4&-\frac 1 4

\end{array}
\right ][/tex]

Thank you for your help.

I did forget to divide the matrix by its determinate, 1/[ad-bc]. It would then be my previous answer divided by -1/10, right?

It turned up incorrect, still. I also tried your answer, but still the same response.

krtica said:
Thank you for your help.

I did forget to divide the matrix by its determinate, 1/[ad-bc]. It would then be my previous answer divided by -1/10, right?

It turned up incorrect, still. I also tried your answer, but still the same response.

The determinant is -10, but you don't "divide by -1/10". You divide by -10. So you should get

[tex]A^{-1} = -\frac {1} {10}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
3&1\\
7&-1

\end{array}
\right ][/tex]

That is what I meant. The answer is still wrong.

krtica said:
That is what I meant. The answer is still wrong.

[tex]
A^{-1} = -\frac {1} {10}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
3&1\\
7&-1

\end{array}
\right ]
[/tex]

is the correct inverse. If you are trying to solve a system like

Ax = b

where x and b are column vectors then the solution will be

x = A-1b

Are you sure you're using the same matrix as LCKurtz? Your original inverse not only was missing the determinant factor but had the wrong sign on one of the elements as well.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be multiplied by its inverse?

When a matrix is multiplied by its inverse, the resulting product is the identity matrix. This means that the two matrices "cancel out" each other and the resulting matrix is equivalent to multiplying a number by its reciprocal, which results in 1.

2. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using various methods, such as Gaussian Elimination, Cramer's Rule, or the Gauss-Jordan method. These methods involve using elementary row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form, and then performing additional operations to find the inverse.

3. Are all matrices invertible?

No, not all matrices are invertible. A matrix is only invertible if its determinant is not equal to 0. If the determinant is 0, then the matrix does not have an inverse and is considered singular.

4. What is the significance of a matrix multiplied by its inverse resulting in the identity matrix?

When a matrix multiplied by its inverse results in the identity matrix, it means that the original matrix is "undone" by its inverse. This is a useful property in solving systems of linear equations and in performing other mathematical operations.

5. Can a matrix have more than one inverse?

No, a matrix can only have one inverse. This is because the inverse of a matrix is unique and there cannot be multiple matrices that when multiplied together result in the identity matrix.