Civil Engineering - Matrix Flexibility Method

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the matrix flexibility method in the context of civil engineering and its use in analyzing structures that are statically indeterminate. The main question raised is how to calculate the basic member forces when the degree of indeterminacy rises above 1. It is clarified that in such cases, the displacement matrix cannot be expanded vertically and instead, both redundant support reactions must be included in one equilibrium equation. This is necessary to ensure the stability and safety of the structure. The person also expresses their willingness to receive any further ideas or thoughts on this topic.
Civil Engg
I have strayed from the template because I am querying a methodology, not an explicit case.

This is Civil Engineering - Matrix Flexibility Method.

Given "m" members and "n" nodes I can use this matrix to solve the basic member forces:

dnggsk.jpg

(sorry about the size I don't know how to scale)

As far as I understand this can be easily done when the system is one degree indeterminate. My problem lies in calculating the above when the degree of indeterminacy rises above 1.

Say, for example, I have a structure that is two degree indeterminate. Can I do the following?
rrnynb.jpg

i.e. Can I continue expanding that displacement matrix vertically or must I include both redundant support reactions in one equilibrium equation (the first picture)?

I understand that this is a very specific portion of matrix methods and it may not be too clear. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. As a scientist in the field of civil engineering, I can certainly understand your query regarding the matrix flexibility method.

Firstly, let me clarify that the matrix flexibility method is used to analyze structures that are statically indeterminate. In simpler terms, this means that the structure cannot be solved using traditional equilibrium equations alone, and additional equations are required to solve for the unknown forces.

Now, coming to your question, when the degree of indeterminacy rises above 1, it is not possible to continue expanding the displacement matrix vertically. This is because the displacement matrix is based on the degree of indeterminacy, and it cannot be expanded indefinitely.

Instead, when dealing with a structure that is two degree indeterminate, it is necessary to include both redundant support reactions in one equilibrium equation, as shown in the first picture. This is because the equilibrium equations are based on the principle of statics, and they must be satisfied for a stable and safe structure.

I hope this clarifies your doubts regarding the matrix flexibility method. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. As scientists, it is our duty to continuously question and improve existing methodologies, so your query is much appreciated.

1. What is the Matrix Flexibility Method in Civil Engineering?

The Matrix Flexibility Method is a structural analysis technique used to determine the deflections and internal forces in a structure. It is based on the principle of superposition, where the total response of a structure is the sum of its individual responses to each load acting on it.

2. How is the Matrix Flexibility Method different from other structural analysis methods?

The Matrix Flexibility Method is different from other methods, such as the Moment Distribution Method and the Finite Element Method, because it considers the entire structure as a single unit rather than dividing it into smaller elements. This makes it more efficient for analyzing complex structures.

3. What are the advantages of using the Matrix Flexibility Method?

The Matrix Flexibility Method has several advantages, including its ability to analyze structures with multiple load cases, its accuracy in determining deflections and internal forces, and its versatility in handling different types of structural elements.

4. What are the limitations of the Matrix Flexibility Method?

One limitation of the Matrix Flexibility Method is that it assumes linear behavior of the structure, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also requires extensive calculations and may be time-consuming for larger structures.

5. How is the Matrix Flexibility Method used in practical applications?

The Matrix Flexibility Method is commonly used in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures to determine their response to various loads and to ensure their stability and safety. It is also used in the analysis of existing structures to identify any potential weaknesses or areas for improvement.