Force graphs and stress-strain graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between different types of stress-strain graphs, specifically the force-extension, force-compression, and compressive-strain (Young Modulus) graphs. The participants also consider possible materials that exhibit similar behavior when compressed and stretched. However, it is noted that compression may result in lateral distortion and minimal compression.
jsmith613
I know what a force-extension graph looks like.

DOes a force-compression graph look the same just with different axis?
(compression on the x-axis NOT extension)

DOes a compressive-strain graph (Young Modulus) look the same as a tensile stress-strain graph?

if not what do they look like

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

Dadface said:
What do you think?

I think that they would be the same but I was just clarifying

Am I correct?

Last edited:
Can you think of any sample of any material which when compressed acts in a similar way to when stretched?

Dadface said:
Can you think of any sample of any material which when compressed acts in a similar way to when stretched?

A slinky spring?

I am now imagining a spring where the loops are not touching.When compressed the spring may display a Hooke's law type of behaviour but only until the loops actually make contact in which case any further compressive force tends to laterally distort the spring and or compress the material from which the spring is made from.Any resulting compression will be extremely (possibly immeasurably) small.Depending on the exact structure of the spring the Hooke's law type extension can be much greater than the compression and exceeding the elastic limit can result in the spring displaying increasing extensions similar to those displayed by ductile materials going into plastic regions.In short,with this example and others I can think of I can see some similarities between stretching and compressing but only for a narrow region surrounding the unstretched/uncompressed length.

For compression stress-strain graphs it would be the same then? or not?

Last edited:

1. What is a force graph and how is it used in science?

A force graph is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object, typically shown as arrows pointing in the direction of the force and labeled with their magnitude. In science, force graphs are used to analyze and understand the forces at play in a particular situation, such as in a physics experiment or in engineering design.

2. How do you interpret a stress-strain graph?

A stress-strain graph shows the relationship between the amount of stress applied to a material and the resulting strain (deformation) it undergoes. The slope of the graph represents the material's stiffness, or how much it resists deformation. The steeper the slope, the stiffer the material. The area under the curve represents the material's toughness, or its ability to withstand stress before breaking.

3. What is the significance of the yield point on a stress-strain graph?

The yield point on a stress-strain graph is the point at which a material begins to deform permanently, or undergo plastic deformation. This means that the material will not return to its original shape once the stress is removed. The yield point is an important factor to consider in engineering and design, as it indicates the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand before it will permanently deform or break.

4. How does temperature affect force graphs and stress-strain graphs?

Temperature can have a significant impact on both force graphs and stress-strain graphs. In force graphs, an increase in temperature can cause materials to expand and become less stiff, affecting the forces acting on them. In stress-strain graphs, temperature can impact the material's ability to withstand stress, as higher temperatures can weaken the bonds between molecules and make the material more prone to deformation or breakage.

5. What are some real-world applications of force graphs and stress-strain graphs?

Force graphs and stress-strain graphs have many real-world applications in various fields. In engineering, they are used to analyze the strength and behavior of materials, such as in building and bridge construction. In healthcare, they are used to understand the forces acting on bones and tissues in the body. In sports, they can be used to optimize equipment design for maximum performance. They are also commonly used in materials testing and quality control processes.