Finding the speed of a dropped block using energy conservation

In summary, a 2.40 kg block is dropped onto a spring and platform of negligible mass. The block is released a distance of 5.00 m above the platform. When the block is momentarily at rest, the spring is compressed by 25.0 cm. The block will reach a speed of 2.90 m/s when x equals 15 cm.
jensson

Homework Statement

A 2.40 kg block is dropped onto a spring and platform of negligible mass. The block is released a distance of 5.00 m above the platform. When the block is momentarily at rest, the spring is compressed by 25.0 cm. Find the speed of the block when the compression of the spring is only 15.0 cm.

I need some help setting this up...

Homework Equations

F= -kx

PE = mgh

KE = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with mgh = -kx + 1/2mv^2 but I don't know what the value of k is so I can't solve for v (I don't have the answer, but I don't think the letter k would be part of it). I know the distance between where the block starts and compression at 15.0cm is 5.15cm so I think I use that for x? really I just have no idea how to do this and I can't find an example in my book of a block falling on a spring. help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must also consider the energy stored in the spring
[tex]
E = \frac{1}{2}kx^2
[/tex]
The total potential energy lost by the box during the fall, is equivalent to the energy stored in the spring at the moment when the box is at rest. This will allow you to calculate k.

Then use the total energy as
[tex]
E_T=mgh+\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}kx^2
[/tex]
to find the speed of the block when x = 15cm

jensson said:
I started off with mgh = -kx + 1/2mv^2 but I don't know what the value of k is so I can't solve for v (I don't have the answer, but I don't think the letter k would be part of it). I know the distance between where the block starts and compression at 15.0cm is 5.15cm so I think I use that for x? really I just have no idea how to do this and I can't find an example in my book of a block falling on a spring. help!

Firstly in you equation mgh = -kx + 1/2mv^2 you are equating force with energy. It should be 1/2 kx2.

Also, you can calculate k from the given data. Just try it!

1. What is a box dropped on a spring?

A box dropped on a spring is an experiment used to study the behavior of an object when released onto a spring, causing it to compress and then bounce back up.

2. What is the purpose of the box dropped on a spring experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of potential and kinetic energy, as well as to study the dynamics of a simple harmonic motion system.

3. How does the height of the drop affect the behavior of the box on the spring?

The height of the drop will affect the amplitude of the oscillations of the box on the spring. A higher drop will result in a larger amplitude, while a lower drop will result in a smaller amplitude.

4. What factors influence the frequency of the oscillations in the box dropped on a spring experiment?

The frequency of the oscillations in this experiment is influenced by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the box, and the gravitational acceleration. These factors will affect the period of the oscillations, which is inversely proportional to the frequency.

5. How can the box dropped on a spring experiment be used in real-life applications?

The principles demonstrated in this experiment can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as understanding the behavior of a car's suspension system or designing earthquake-resistant buildings. It can also be used in the study of wave mechanics and simple harmonic motion in physics.