General Relativity - Riemann Tensor and Killing Vector Identity

In summary, the homework statement is trying to show that for a vector field Va which satisfies V_{a;b}+V_{b;a} that V_{a;b;c}=V_eR^e_{cba} using just the below identities. However, the problem is part of a larger question and the last bit of the equation is giving a result that doesn't seem to follow from everything else. Can anyone help him out?
Tangent87

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that for a vector field Va which satisfies [tex]V_{a;b}+V_{b;a}[/tex] that [tex]V_{a;b;c}=V_eR^e_{cba}[/tex] using just the below identities.

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{a;b;c}-V_{a;c;b}=V_eR^e_{abc}[/tex](0)

[tex]R^e_{abc}+R^e_{bca}+R^e_{cab}=0[/tex] (*)

[tex]V_{a;b}+V_{b;a}=0[/tex] (**)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have:

[tex]V_eR^e_{cba}=-V_eR^e_{acb}-V_eR^e_{bac}=V_{a;b;c}-V_{a;c;b}+V_{b;c;a}-V_{b;a;c}=2V_{a;b;c}+V_{b;c;a}-V_{a;c;b}[/tex]

Which gives:

[tex]V_eR^e_{cba}-V_{a;b;c}=V_eR^e_{abc}-V_{c;b;a}[/tex]

I want to say that this implies [tex]V_{a;b;c}=V_eR^e_{cba}[/tex] but I can't justify why both sides of the above equation must be zero. Can anyone see what else I can do? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is part of a larger question (see page 59 here http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2004/Part_2/list_II.pdf ) and I'm having trouble with the last bit as well where it goes into the EM stuff, I know it must obviously somehow relate to everything we've done above but I just don't see the relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody help me out with deriving the identity [tex]
V_{a;b;c}=V_eR^e_{cba}?
[/tex]

Forget about the EM stuff I don't care so much about that but I'd be very grateful for some help in deriving that identity. Thanks

There's a couple of ways to show that. One way is to start from (*) and use (0) to write 6 terms involving the 2nd derivatives of the V's. Then you can use (**) to show that

[tex]V_{a;bc} + V_{b;ca} + V_{c;ab} =0.[/tex]

You can then use (**) and (0) to show that

[tex] V_{b;ca} + V_{c;ab} = V_e {R^e}_{cab}.[/tex]

fzero said:
There's a couple of ways to show that. One way is to start from (*) and use (0) to write 6 terms involving the 2nd derivatives of the V's. Then you can use (**) to show that

[tex]V_{a;bc} + V_{b;ca} + V_{c;ab} =0.[/tex]

You can then use (**) and (0) to show that

[tex] V_{b;ca} + V_{c;ab} = V_e {R^e}_{cab}.[/tex]

Ahhh thanks, done it now. It seems I was definitely going about it the wrong way.

1. What is the Riemann Tensor in General Relativity?

The Riemann Tensor is a mathematical object that represents the curvature of spacetime in General Relativity. It is used to describe how the presence of matter and energy affects the geometry of spacetime.

2. How is the Riemann Tensor calculated?

The Riemann Tensor is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor. The metric tensor describes the distance between points in spacetime and is a key component in Einstein's field equations.

3. What is the significance of the Killing Vector Identity in General Relativity?

The Killing Vector Identity is a mathematical equation that describes the symmetries of a spacetime. It plays a crucial role in understanding the conservation laws of energy and momentum in General Relativity.

4. How does the Killing Vector Identity relate to the Riemann Tensor?

The Killing Vector Identity can be used to simplify the calculation of the Riemann Tensor. It allows us to express the Riemann Tensor in terms of the metric tensor and its derivatives, making it easier to solve for specific spacetimes.

5. What are some practical applications of the Riemann Tensor and Killing Vector Identity?

The Riemann Tensor and Killing Vector Identity are essential tools in understanding the behavior of gravity in General Relativity. They are used in various fields, including cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational wave astronomy, to make predictions and test the theory of General Relativity.