Solving Ladder Operator Problem w/ 4 Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the expectation value of px4 in the ground state of a harmonic oscillator. The participants suggest using the commutation relation and Schrodinger's equation to simplify the problem and reach the correct answer.
Sheepattack

Homework Statement

I have been given the following problem -
the expectation value of px4 in the ground state of a harmonic oscillator can be expressed as
<px4> = h4/4a4 {integral(-infin to +infin w0*(x) (AAA+A+ + AA+AA+ + A+AAA+) w0 dx}

I think I know how to proceed on other examples, but my given examples only have ladder operators with two terms, i.e. AA+ or A+A.
I can then use the commutation relation, AA+ - A+A =1 to remove them.

what has stuck me here is the four ladder operators in a term. I'm totally unsure on how to proceed!

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what A and A+ do to eigenstates? A+ψn = sqrt(n+1)ψn+1 and Aψn=sqrt(n)*ψn-1, so you can just keep applying the appropriate operator until you get down to a constant multiple of the eigenfunction.

I'd like to suggest a completely different method. Use two things here

1. Schrodinger's equation, which can be rearranged to form
[tex]p^2\psi = c (E-V)\psi [/tex] where c is some constant

2. The fact the p is hermitian

[tex]
\left<p^4\right> = \left<\psi |p^4|\psi\right> = \left<p^2\psi|p^2\psi\right> = c^2 \left<(E-V)^2\right>
[/tex]

The last part of the above integral can be greatly simplified using the evenness or oddness of the functions [tex]\psi[/tex] and V. Try it.

Many thanks for both your replies.

I think ideasrule's method was the one I am supposed to follow - managed to get the right answer! A few more clouds lifted...
thanks again

I would suggest approaching this problem by first breaking down the expression into smaller parts. Since the expectation value is given in terms of the integral of a product of wavefunctions, we can start by expanding the product using the properties of ladder operators. This would result in a series of terms with different combinations of ladder operators, similar to the examples you have encountered before.

Next, we can use the commutation relation you mentioned, AA+ - A+A = 1, to simplify each term. This would involve rearranging the order of the operators and possibly combining terms to eliminate the ladder operators with two terms.

Once we have simplified each term, we can then use the commutation relation again to remove the remaining ladder operators with four terms. This may require multiple steps and careful rearranging of the operators.

Ultimately, the goal is to reduce the expression to a simpler form that can be integrated easily. From there, we can solve for the expectation value of px4 in terms of the given parameters.

In summary, breaking down the expression into smaller parts and using the commutation relation multiple times will help us solve this problem. It may also be helpful to consult with your peers or a professor for additional guidance and support. Good luck!

1. What is a ladder operator in quantum mechanics?

A ladder operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It is used to represent the energy levels of a system and how they can change as a result of interactions with other particles.

2. How do you solve a ladder operator problem with 4 terms?

To solve a ladder operator problem with 4 terms, you need to first express the Hamiltonian (the total energy operator) in terms of ladder operators. Then, using commutation relations, you can manipulate the expressions to find the eigenvalues (possible energy values) and eigenvectors (corresponding energy states) of the system.

3. What are commutation relations in quantum mechanics?

Commutation relations in quantum mechanics describe how two operators behave when they are applied to a system in different orders. In particular, commutation relations are used to determine how the operators for position and momentum behave, which are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics.

4. Why is solving ladder operator problems important in quantum mechanics?

Solving ladder operator problems is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the energy levels and corresponding states of a system. This is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems, which has implications for fields such as chemistry, material science, and quantum computing.

5. Can ladder operator problems be solved for systems with more than 4 terms?

Yes, ladder operator problems can be solved for systems with any number of terms. The process for solving them may become more complex as the number of terms increases, but the basic principles and techniques remain the same. Advanced mathematical tools such as group theory may also be used to solve more complicated ladder operator problems.