Rotor vs Propeller: Know the Difference

In summary, a propeller is a specific type of rotor that is used to propel planes through the air in one axis, while a rotor is a more general term that can encompass various functionalities. Rotor-driven machines can include helicopters, electric motors, and automotive brakes. The term "air screw" is sometimes used to refer to propellers, as they appear to be screwing through the air when in motion.
Cashlover123
Hey guys, I have always wanted to know the difference between propeller and rotor though they are used for similar applications. I never researched on it until now when I had to write it down as one of my assignments. Any answers will be appreciated and also if anybody can refer me to any books is even better.. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
do you mean rotor as in helicopter, and propeller as in aeroplane?

a rotor is a much more general term and hence it is flexible about its definition, and it encompasses more functionalities... in a plane propeller , it is specific for 'propelling' the plane in one axis through the air, so the most you can do is alter the collective pitch of the blades ... in a helicopter rotor, it provides 3 axes of movement, the collective pitch provides one axis while cyclic pitch provides the other two

also, propellers tend to be called 'air screws' because if you look at a propeller-driven plane in flight but in slow motion, that is what the propellers appear to be doing

while 'rotor' can include the parts of some machine which functions by spinning, like an electric motor or an automotive brake

1. What is the main difference between a rotor and a propeller?

The main difference between a rotor and a propeller is their function. A rotor is used to generate lift and keep an aircraft or helicopter in the air, while a propeller is used to propel an aircraft forward through the air.

2. Can a rotor be used as a propeller or vice versa?

No, a rotor cannot be used as a propeller and vice versa. They are designed and built for different purposes and have different shapes and sizes to perform their respective functions effectively.

3. Are there any other differences between a rotor and a propeller?

Yes, there are a few other differences between a rotor and a propeller. Rotor blades are typically shorter and wider than propeller blades, and they are attached to a hub at the center of the aircraft. In contrast, propeller blades are longer and thinner and are attached to the front of the aircraft's engine.

4. Which is more efficient, a rotor or a propeller?

It depends on the type of aircraft and its intended use. Rotorcraft, such as helicopters, are more efficient at low speeds and can hover in place, while propeller-driven aircraft are more efficient at higher speeds and are better suited for long-distance travel.

5. Can a rotor be used in place of a propeller on an airplane?

No, a rotor is not suitable for use on an airplane as it is designed to generate lift and cannot provide the necessary forward thrust for an airplane to fly. Additionally, the aerodynamics and mechanics of an airplane are different from those of a helicopter, making a rotor unsuitable for use on an airplane.