Time dilation - Lorentz transformation using light clock

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to derive the time dilation formula using the Pythagorean theorem. The correct formula is found to be t' = t/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), with the distance traveled by the clock being vt' in the observer's frame. The frames of reference are clarified and the conversation ends with a thank you.
kapitan90

Homework Statement

I am trying to derive the time dilation formula using Pythagorean theorem:
L = ct (in clocks rest frame)
D = ct'(in observer's frame, the clock moving with velocity u)

The Attempt at a Solution

So [tex]D^2 = L^2 +v^2t^2[/tex]
[tex]c^2{t'}^2=c^2t^2+u^2t^2[/tex]
So[tex]t'=t*\sqrt{1+v^2/c^2}[/tex]
but it should be
[tex]t'=t/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

This would work if D=ct, not ct' and L=ct', but I guess it isn't right with my choice of frames of reference?

Sources: http://www.drphysics.com/syllabus/time/time.html

Attachments

• fig1.GIF
    fig1.GIF
    2.4 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
kapitan90 said:
This would work if D=ct, not ct' and L=ct', but I guess it isn't right with my choice of frames of reference?
You're mixing up your frames a bit. The clock moves a distance vt' (not vt) in the observer's frame. (The observer uses his own time measurements, of course.)

Ok, now it works, thanks for your reply!

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds relative to each other. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the effects of relative motion on the passage of time. As an object moves faster, its clock appears to slow down relative to a stationary observer. This is because the speed of light is constant and the time needed for light to travel between two points is affected by the object's velocity.

3. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe how the measurements of space and time change for objects moving at different speeds. It was developed by Hendrik Lorentz and later incorporated into Einstein's theory of special relativity.

4. What is a light clock?

A light clock is a thought experiment used to explain the concept of time dilation. It consists of two mirrors facing each other with a beam of light bouncing back and forth between them. The time it takes for the light to travel between the mirrors is used to measure time.

5. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured through experiments using precise clocks and high speeds. For example, atomic clocks on airplanes have been found to tick slightly slower than those on the ground due to their increased speed. Additionally, particle accelerators also provide evidence of time dilation as particles moving at high speeds have a longer lifetime than those at rest.