What angle maximizes the horizontal distance of a rocket launch?

In summary, To maximize the horizontal distance of a rocket, the ejection charge should fire before the rocket hits the ground with a bit of leeway. This can be achieved by setting the total time since burnout equal to the delay time and solving for the optimal angle using a quadratic equation. Safety factors can also be added as needed.
RobertL
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to do a problem in which I attempt to find the angle that maximizes the horizontal distance of a rocket, which has a stage with thrust and then a stage as a projectile. After a delay period, an ejection charge fires and causes the rocket to drop straight down. I want to have the ejection charge to fire before the rocket hits the ground, which means giving a bit of leeway.

If any of you can look over my work and give me any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Thrust: 3.42 N
Burn Time (constant thrust assumed): .33s
Delay time before ejection charge fires after burn time: 1.74s
Mass: .033893kg

Other values are calculated in the spreadsheet.

Homework Equations

Equations of motion/projectiles

The Attempt at a Solution

See spreadsheet. In it, I attempted to use the goal seek function to set the total time since burnout equal to the delay time (1.74s) by changing the value of the angle.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• Maximizing Horizontal Distance 2.xls
    25 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
The maximal distance will be reached if the rocket is just above the ground after 1.74 seconds. Safety factors can be added as necessary. Assuming a constant thrust vector, this leads to a quadratic equation for the vertical acceleration, which can be solved analytically.

1. What is the optimal launch angle for a rocket?

The optimal launch angle for a rocket depends on several factors such as the rocket's velocity, thrust, and air resistance. Generally, a launch angle of around 45 degrees is considered to be the most efficient for achieving maximum altitude.

2. How does the launch angle affect a rocket's trajectory?

The launch angle greatly affects a rocket's trajectory. A lower launch angle will result in a shorter but more horizontal trajectory, while a higher launch angle will result in a longer but steeper trajectory.

3. Can the launch angle be adjusted during a rocket's flight?

In most cases, the launch angle cannot be adjusted once the rocket has been launched. However, some advanced rockets may have mechanisms that allow for minor adjustments to the angle during flight.

4. What happens if the launch angle is too low or too high?

If the launch angle is too low, the rocket will not ascend as high as it could and may even crash back to the ground. If the launch angle is too high, the rocket may reach a higher altitude but will also experience more air resistance, which can slow it down and affect its trajectory.

5. How do scientists determine the best launch angle for a specific rocket?

Scientists use mathematical equations and simulations to calculate the optimal launch angle for a specific rocket based on its design and performance capabilities. They also consider external factors such as weather conditions and the intended destination of the rocket.