What is the gravity of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth

In summary, the problem states that a person weighs 540N on Earth and asks how much he weighs on a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of Earth. After attempting to use the gravitational force equation, the individual obtains a weight of 793.18N, using (2r)^2 in the denominator.
cmbswim89
what is the gravity of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth

Physics news on Phys.org

cmbswim89 said:
what is the gravity of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth
Hello cmbswim89. Welcome to PF !

Do you mean, "What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth?"

Show us what you have tried, and where you're stuck so we can help you.

well the problem states a person weighs 540N on Earth and asks how much he weighs on a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass. i have tried putting that data into the gravitational force equation but multiplying Earth's mass by 3 and radius by 2 but i don't get any of the multiple choice questions i have

cmbswim89 said:
well the problem states a person weighs 540N on Earth and asks how much he weighs on a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass. i have tried putting that data into the gravitational force equation but multiplying Earth's mass by 3 and radius by 2 but i don't get any of the multiple choice questions i have
What equation are you putting the mass & radius into ?

What do you get?

F=G(3(m1))(m2)/2r2 so it looks like that with m1 as Earth's mass and r as Earth's radius and i get 793.18N

cmbswim89 said:
F=G(3(m1))(m2)/2r2 so it looks like that with m1 as Earth's mass and r as Earth's radius and i get 793.18N

Are you using (2r)2 or 2(r2) in the denominator?

sr^2 sorry

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravity of a planet?

The formula for calculating the gravity of a planet is G x (m1 x m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is the gravity of a planet affected by its mass?

The gravity of a planet is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of a planet increases, so does its gravity. In other words, the more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

3. How does the gravity of a planet change as its radius increases?

The gravity of a planet is inversely proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius of a planet increases, its gravity decreases. So if a planet has a larger radius, it will have a weaker gravitational pull compared to a planet with a smaller radius.

4. What would be the gravity of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of Earth?

The gravity of a planet with 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of Earth would be 2 x (3 x 5.97 x 10^24 kg) / (2 x 6371 km)^2 = 3.6 times the gravity of Earth. This is because the mass of the planet is 3 times greater and the radius is 2 times greater, resulting in a stronger gravitational pull.

5. How does the gravity of a planet with 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of Earth compare to Earth's gravity?

The gravity of a planet with 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of Earth is stronger than Earth's gravity. Earth's gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, while the calculated gravity of the planet in question is 2 x 3.6 x 9.8 m/s^2 = 70.56 m/s^2. This means that objects on the surface of this planet would experience a stronger gravitational pull than objects on Earth's surface.