Factorizing and Finding Independent Solutions in ODEs

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of factorizing differential equations and how it can be used to find solutions. It also explains how the coefficient of a differential equation can determine the form of the solution. Additionally, it highlights the importance of having two independent solutions to find the general solution and how experience can help determine the appropriate solution.
unscientific

Homework Statement

I'm currently taking a course on ordinary differential equations. I am now reading through the lecture slides but I'm not really sure about the " factorising the equation " part onwards:

25kmyrk.png

35k797n.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what is the point of trying to factorize the differential equation and how the CF is made up of exponentials..

Secondly, how did they simply decide that x*emx gives an independent solution? Why not x2emx then?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the "factorizing" is an "operator" method using that fact that we can treat repeated derivatives (as long as the coefficients are constants) as if they were products and so get a symbolic way of reducing the equation to a series of first order equations.

Second, If we have a differential equation of the form [itex]d^2y/dx- 2m dy/dx+ m^2y= 0[/itex] so that "trying" a solution of the form [itex]y= e^{rx}[/itex] reduces the equation to [itex]r^2 e^{rx}- 2mr e^{rx}+ m^2e^rx= e^{rx}(r^2- 2mr+ m^2)= e^{rx}(r- m)^2= 0[/itex] and, since [itex]e^{mx}[/itex] is never 0, we must have [itex](r- m)^2= 0[/itex] which, of course, has the single root r= m. That tells us immediately that [itex]y= e^{mx}[/itex] is a solution to the differential equation. Of course, because this is a second order linear, homogeneous solution, we need a second independent solution to be able to write the general solution.

It is easy to see, by checking, that [itex]y= xe^{mx}[/itex] is a solution: if [itex]y= xe^{mx}[/itex] then [itex]dy/dx= e^{mx}+ mxe^{mx}[/itex] and [itex]d^2y/dx^2= 2me^{mx}+ m^2xe^{mx}[/itex] so that [itex]d^2y/dx^2- 2m dy/dx+ m^2y= (2me^{mx}+ m^2xe^{mx})- 2m(e^{mx}+ mxe^{mx})+ xe^{mx}= (m^2xe^{mx}- 2m^2xe^{mx}+ m^2e^{mx})+ (2me^{mx}- 2me^{mx})= 0[/itex].

We can then appeal to the theory, that the set of all solutions to a second order linear homogeneous differential equation form a vector space of dimension 2 and so can be spanned by two independent solutions, to see that there cannot be other independent solutions.

And, of course, we see, by direct substitution, that is [itex]y= x^2e^{mx}[/itex] then [itex]dy/dx= 2xe^{mx}+ mx^2e^{mx}[/itex] and [itex]d^2y/dx^2= 2e^{mx}+ 4mxe^{mx}+ m^2x^2e^{mx}[/itex] and the equation becomes [itex](2e^{mx}+ 4mxe^{mx}+ m^2x^2e^{mx})- 2m(2xe^{mx}+ mx^2e^{mx})+ m^2x^2e^{mx}= (m^2x^2e^{mx}- 2^2x^2e^{mx}+ m^2x^2e^{mx})+ (4mxe^{mx}- 4mxe^{mx})+ (2e^{mx}= 2e^{mx}[/itex], not 0.

How would we know in advance that worked? Experience- and they are trying to save you the time required to get that experience.

1. What is an ODE and why is it important in science?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is important in science because it allows us to model and understand the behavior of various physical phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion.

2. How do I solve an ODE?

The method for solving an ODE depends on its type and complexity. Generally, we use analytical methods involving algebra and calculus, or numerical methods involving computer algorithms. Some ODEs may also have exact solutions available.

3. What are the different types of ODEs?

There are several types of ODEs, including linear and nonlinear, first-order and higher-order, and autonomous and non-autonomous. Each type has its own unique properties and methods for solving.

4. Can ODEs be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, ODEs are widely used in various fields of science and engineering to model and understand real-world problems. They have applications in physics, biology, chemistry, economics, and many other disciplines.

5. Are there any resources available to help understand ODEs?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures that can help you understand ODEs and their applications. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of ODEs to improve your understanding.