New view on Neanderthals and tool use

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the earliest specialized bone tool in Europe was made by Neandertals, predating the arrival of modern humans in the region. This challenges the view that modern humans were the first to innovate and suggests that Neandertals were not as primitive as previously thought. Additionally, studies have shown that Neandertals had similar brain size to modern humans at birth and possibly had the ability to teach newcomers. The use of tools is not unique to humans and it is possible that even earlier human species used specialized tools.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Neandertals made the first specialized bone tools in Europe (abstract)
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/08/08/1302730110

The earliest bone tool so far found in Europe predates the time when modern humans began replacing Neanderthals.

(IMO) The interesting aspect of this is that anthropologists frequently have a Homo sapiens-centric view of new technologies, i.e., modern humans made new innovations before they showed up in Neanderthal sites.

If brain size correlates to cognitive power in human species, then H. neanderthalensis was no dummy.

"Neanderthal Brain Size at Birth Sheds Light on Human Evolution". National Geographic. 2008-09-09. (cannot get to original). Neanderthal brain size was the same as modern humans at birth, adult Neanderthals had on average larger brains.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Jim.

I have been following this since the story first came out. The notion that Neandertals might have developed the first bone tools to polish and densify hides is not a stretch. The discovery of such tools in a Neandertal site is encouraging to me because I think that Neandertals have been given short shrift. I wonder how many other things that they could have taught to the newcomers?

Considering the vast array of animals that use "tools", I wouldn't at all be surprised if even earlier humanoid species used specialized tools. Question is whether we will find them.

Yes, there are many animals that use tools (your link does not mention chimpanzees using grass or straws to pull ants and termites out of holes which is another example) but I believe that the idea that Neandertals actually shaped tools for specific use would be use.)

Nice link Greg, yes the mention of chimps using tools to gather ants is there. None of the videos work for me, I just keep getting the advertisements over and over.

1. What is the new view on Neanderthals and tool use?

The new view on Neanderthals and tool use is that they were sophisticated toolmakers and users, and were not the primitive and unintelligent beings that were previously believed. Recent archaeological evidence has shown that Neanderthals used a variety of tools for different purposes, such as hunting, butchering, and even creating art.

2. How does this new view change our understanding of Neanderthals?

This new view challenges the long-held belief that Neanderthals were inferior to modern humans. It shows that they were capable of complex thinking and problem-solving, and were able to adapt and thrive in different environments. It also highlights the cultural similarities between Neanderthals and modern humans, suggesting that they may have had a shared cognitive and social capacity.

3. What evidence supports this new view?

The evidence for this new view comes from various archaeological findings, such as the discovery of sophisticated tools and weapons made by Neanderthals, as well as evidence of their use of fire and the creation of art. Genetic studies have also shown that Neanderthals interbred with modern humans, further suggesting a close relationship between the two species.

4. What impact does this have on our understanding of human evolution?

This new view on Neanderthals and tool use challenges the traditional linear model of human evolution, which portrayed modern humans as the pinnacle of evolution and Neanderthals as a failed branch. It suggests that human evolution was not a linear progression, but a complex and diverse process involving multiple species and interactions.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand Neanderthals and their tool use?

While the new view on Neanderthals and tool use has shed light on their capabilities and intelligence, there is still much to be explored and understood. Further research is needed to uncover more evidence of their toolmaking techniques, their social and cultural behaviors, and how they interacted with modern humans. This will allow for a more comprehensive understanding of Neanderthals and their place in human evolution.