Combinatorics back-substitution Question

In summary: Just substitute the values for ##n=0,1,2...## and see if it works out. Remember, the recurrence relation must hold for all values of ##n##.
Askhwhelp
1) an = an-1 + 2n with a0 = 2
The question is Use back-substitution to find a closed formula for the recurrence relations.
I have an-4 + 2(n-3)+2(n-2)+2(n-1)+2n
Then I have a1 + ... +2(n-5)+2(n-4)+2(n-3)+2(n-2)+2(n-1)+2n
First of all, is my way right? If so, could you please help me find the recurrence relations?
If no, could you tell I have done wrong and point me to the right direction?

2) Find and solve a recurrence relation for pn the value of a stock market indicator that obeys the rule that the change this year from the previous year (that is, pn - pn-1) equals twice last year's
change. Let p0 = 1; p1 = 4.
I have a trouble to translate " the rule that the change this year from the previous year (that is, pn - pn-1) equals twice last year's" into recurrence relation. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Askhwhelp said:
1) an = an-1 + 2n with a0 = 2
The question is Use back-substitution to find a closed formula for the recurrence relations.
I have an-4 + 2(n-3)+2(n-2)+2(n-1)+2n
Then I have a1 + ... +2(n-5)+2(n-4)+2(n-3)+2(n-2)+2(n-1)+2n
First of all, is my way right? If so, could you please help me find the recurrence relations?
If no, could you tell I have done wrong and point me to the right direction?

I presume you mean ##a_n = a_{n-1} +2n## with ##a_0=2##. I would write out the first few, taking care not to simplify, which might hide any patterns:

##a_1 = 2 + 2\cdot 1##
##a_2 = 2 + 2\cdot 1 + 2\cdot 2##
##a_3 = 2 + 2\cdot 1 + 2\cdot 2 + 2\cdot 3##

Do you see any patterns or useful expressions you can use to get a nice closed formula for ##a_n##?

The answer should be 2+n+n^2?

Thanks

Last edited:
Askhwhelp said:
2) Find and solve a recurrence relation for pn the value of a stock market indicator that obeys the rule that the change this year from the previous year (that is, pn - pn-1) equals twice last year's
change. Let p0 = 1; p1 = 4.
I have a trouble to translate " the rule that the change this year from the previous year (that is, pn - pn-1) equals twice last year's" into recurrence relation. Can someone please help?

Sounds to me like: [itex] (p_2-p_1)=2(p_1-p_0) [/itex] so, [itex] p_n-p_{n-1}=2(p_{n-1}-p_{n-2}) [/itex].

Likes 1 person
Askhwhelp said:
The answer should be 2+n+n^2?

Thanks

Can't you check it for yourself?

1. What is combinatorics back-substitution?

Combinatorics back-substitution is a method used in combinatorics to solve problems by working backwards from the desired outcome to find the initial conditions or starting point.

2. How is combinatorics back-substitution used?

Combinatorics back-substitution is used to solve problems involving combinations, permutations, and other counting techniques. It is often used to find the total number of possible outcomes or arrangements in a given situation.

3. What are the steps involved in combinatorics back-substitution?

The steps involved in combinatorics back-substitution include identifying the desired outcome, working backwards to determine the initial conditions, and using combinatorial formulas and techniques to calculate the total number of possible outcomes or arrangements.

4. What are some real-life applications of combinatorics back-substitution?

Combinatorics back-substitution has many real-life applications such as in probability and statistics, genetics, coding theory, and computer science. It can be used to analyze and solve problems related to arranging objects, sequences, and patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to combinatorics back-substitution?

Combinatorics back-substitution may not be applicable to all types of combinatorial problems. It is most useful when dealing with finite sets and may not be suitable for problems involving infinite sets or continuous variables.