Pros & Cons of Citric Acid in Lemon Juice

In summary, brushing your teeth with a mix of not diluted lemon, lime (green lemon) and grapefruit juice (same quantities) can help to reduce tartar and avoid biting and sucking lemon juice can damage the enamel of newly erupted teeth.
NZGurl
Hey Guys,
Sorry once again i am posting a thread of a boring topic, but seriously i couldn't find any information on the search engines that why i need your help on, the advantages and disdavantages of Citric acid in lemon juice.

I found couple of sentences, but i don't know what it means, so i will just copy and paste the info i got, and if anyone here knows anything can you just tell me.

"In order to have very white teeth, brush them twice a week with a mix of not diluted lemon, lime (green lemon) and grapefruit juice (same quantities). This helps also to reduce tartar. On the other way, try to avoid biting and sucking lemon juice, because of the high concentration of citric acid, a prolonged contact can damage the enamel. Lemon juice is very acidic and can dissolve tooth enamel on newly erupted teeth"

How does a higher concentration of citric acid can damage the enamel of a tooth?

"University of Melbourne's Professor Roger Short made the discovery that lemon juice kills the AIDS virus after he put lemon juice in a test tube with HIV-positive sperm and the sperm were permanently immobilised within 30 seconds. In Australia the Federal Government had refused to fund human trials of this discovery but Roger found the Thai government interested and they will fund a trial on at least 400 Thai men and women. Roger claims the lemon juice also killed syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydia. This was due to the acidity of Officials at the international AIDS conference in Bangkok announced the first human trial. "

How come the lemon juice killed the baterias? Is it because of the high acidity of citric acid in lemon juice which killed the baterias?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. Citric acid is acidic (nothing strange) and have some complexing abilities, thus it may help remove tartar and it may damage the enamel. This is not a rocket science.

2. I don't get it. I am ready to show experimentally that hydrochloric acid kills HIV virus in sperm too. Sulfuric acid too, even easier, as it can be prepared much more concentrated. Perhaps there is something missing in this information, as I can't see any way of using neither citric nor hydrochloric acid to fight AIDS. I also doubt anyone will decide to use concentrated sulfuric acid for this purpose :)

More seriously - most bacterias will die if the pH is far from neutral. There are species that can survive even pH = 1 (like Helicobacter pylori), but these are just exceptions proving the rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are some potential pros and cons of citric acid in lemon juice that should be considered.

Pros:
1. Natural source of citric acid: Lemon juice is a natural source of citric acid, making it a healthier alternative to processed foods that may contain synthetic citric acid.

2. Antioxidant properties: Citric acid in lemon juice has antioxidant properties that can help protect against cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.

3. Helps with digestion: Citric acid in lemon juice can stimulate the production of digestive juices, aiding in digestion and relieving issues like bloating and indigestion.

4. May have antibacterial properties: As mentioned in the content, lemon juice has been found to have antibacterial properties, potentially making it useful in treating certain infections.

Cons:
1. High acidity: Lemon juice is highly acidic due to the presence of citric acid, which can cause damage to tooth enamel if consumed frequently or in large quantities. This can lead to tooth sensitivity and erosion.

2. May cause heartburn: The high acidity of lemon juice can also trigger heartburn in some individuals, especially those with acid reflux or GERD.

3. Can irritate sensitive skin: The high acidity of lemon juice can also irritate sensitive skin, causing redness and irritation.

4. Can interact with certain medications: Citric acid in lemon juice can interact with certain medications, reducing their effectiveness or causing adverse effects. It is important to consult with a doctor before consuming lemon juice if you are taking any medications.

In conclusion, while lemon juice can provide some health benefits due to the presence of citric acid, it is important to consume it in moderation and be aware of any potential risks, especially for those with sensitive teeth or skin or those taking certain medications.

1. What are the benefits of citric acid in lemon juice?

Citric acid in lemon juice has several benefits. It acts as a natural preservative, preventing the growth of harmful bacteria in food. It also helps to enhance the flavor of food and drinks, making them more appealing. Additionally, citric acid has antioxidant properties, which may help to protect the body against cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.

2. Are there any downsides to consuming citric acid in lemon juice?

While citric acid in lemon juice is generally safe for consumption, it can cause some side effects in certain individuals. People with citrus allergies may experience allergic reactions, and those with sensitive teeth may experience discomfort or pain when consuming acidic foods and drinks. Additionally, consuming large amounts of citric acid may lead to dental erosion and gastrointestinal issues in some people.

3. Is citric acid in lemon juice safe for children to consume?

Citric acid in lemon juice is generally safe for children to consume in moderation. However, parents should be aware of potential allergic reactions and monitor their child's intake to avoid any discomfort or adverse effects. It is also important to consult a pediatrician before introducing citric acid to a child's diet, especially if they have any underlying health conditions.

4. Can citric acid in lemon juice be used for cleaning purposes?

Yes, citric acid in lemon juice can be used for cleaning purposes. Its acidic properties make it an effective natural cleaner for removing stains, grease, and rust. Additionally, its antibacterial properties make it a great disinfectant for surfaces. However, it is important to be cautious when using citric acid on delicate surfaces as it may cause damage.

5. How much citric acid is typically found in lemon juice?

The amount of citric acid in lemon juice can vary depending on the type of lemon and how it is processed. On average, a lemon contains about 5-6% citric acid by weight. This means that a cup (240ml) of lemon juice contains about 12-14 grams of citric acid. However, it is important to note that the amount of citric acid can also vary based on the concentration of lemon juice used.