What size could habitable planets in the Castor system be?

In summary, the individual has been reading about the Castor System and wants to design a planet for a sci-fi universe and book. They want to know the possible size of a planet in the system's habitable zones and if it could support life. They have done research on factors such as mass, composition, and spin, but cannot find equations for determining planet size. They want the planet to have a roughly Earth-like composition and a surface area twice or three times that of Earth. However, they are aware that the size of the planet could also depend on the amount of water on its surface. They also mention that the Castor System has 6 stars, but it may be too unstable to support planets. The individual is open to
StarCreator
I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading here a lot over the past several days. I'm planning on starting a sci-fi universe for a gaming group I'm in and for a book that I want to write. I've been doing a lot of research and I want the first planet I'm designing to exist in the Castor system, what I've read(though it may be outdated) says that CastorA has a habitable zone ~6AUs out and CastorB has a habitable zone ~4AUs. My question is how large would/could these planets be? I've done a lot of reading and I understand that it is a function of mass, composition, and spin and the center has to be iron, however I can't really find anything like equations.

I want the planet to have a roughly Earth-like composition, though possibly slightly less metallic, so as to explain the reliance on non-technological things rather than being hyper-advanced. I would also like to know if it is possible for a planet of composition like that to support(earthlike) life and have a surface area twice or maybe three times that of Earth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Castor System has 6 stars. It might be too unstable to support planets. As Far as land area, you can give it as much or as little land as you want, just determine how much of the surface is covered by water. Mars for example is half the size of Earth but as land area nearly equivalent to Earth because there are no oceans or any other water on Mars.

Last edited:
From other readings here and elsewhere I would guess that planets might be supportable, as the system is fairly stable, though again I suppose I'm not very knowledgeable. However the closest any of the binary systems ever are to each other is 176AUs, I would think that a planet could thus orbit one binary system and not be drastically effected by the other systems.
Also I'm aware I can make my decisions as I see fit about landmass on the planet, but I am really curious about what the actual size I could make the planet.

Sources:
http://www.solstation.com/stars2/castor6.htm
Celestia
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=705697&highlight=castor

Well Anything more then twice the mass of Earth and the atmosphere would start to get funky. As the mass goes up the planet would start to hang onto more hydrogen and have a less Earth like composition.

I would say stick with 1.25 - 1.5 Earth Mass to keep things similar to what we have here. Then again if you are going to change the mineral composition of the planet and make it less metal rich, that might alow you to have a physically larger world with the same or similar mass.

Last edited:
First of all, the closest approach between Aab and Bab components in Castor system is about 70 AU, not ~176 AU( ##R_p=a(1-e)## ). At that distance a planet around either pair would be perturbed by gravitational influence about six times stronger than that of Jupiter on Earth.
This seems sensible as far as stability goes.

For the planet, you want gravity to be roughly that of Earth's.
Gravity depends on mass, which in turn depends on radius and density.
If you assume* the planet to have similar density distribution to Earth, and express all variables in fractions of Earth's, you can simply say:
##R\propto \frac{1}{ρ}##, that is, if you make denisty half as high as Earth's, you can have the planet be twice as large radius-wise as Earth, and still have the same gravity.
And since area is just Pi times radius squared, ##A\propto \frac{1}{p^2}## So, to get twice the area of Earth, you need 1/√2 of its density.

For reference, Earth's density is about 5.5 g/cm^3. Moon is about 3 g/cm^3. Going lower than Moon's might be stretching it.

*it's an assumption that's unlikely to hold under closer scrutiny, but it will give you a ballpark resut that should be accurate enough for your needs. With that in mind, you can always add/deduct maybe 10%-20% to the result and justify it by different mass distribution in the interior.

More importantly, though, Castor is a very young system(100-300 million years). Having life devolp in such time is not very plausible. Consider that Earth was constantly bombarded by meteors and had largely molten crust for the first half a billion years of its existence.

Thank you bandersnatch, that's very helpful.

1. What is the estimated size range of habitable planets in the Castor system?

The estimated size range for habitable planets in the Castor system is similar to Earth, with a diameter of approximately 12,742 kilometers. However, it is possible for habitable planets to have slightly larger or smaller diameters.

2. Can habitable planets in the Castor system be smaller than Earth?

Yes, it is possible for habitable planets in the Castor system to be smaller than Earth. Planets with diameters as small as 5,000 kilometers have been found to be potentially habitable, depending on other factors such as composition and distance from their star.

3. Are there any limitations on the maximum size of habitable planets in the Castor system?

There are no specific limitations on the maximum size of habitable planets in the Castor system. However, larger planets may have a higher gravitational pull, which could affect the planet's atmosphere and potentially make it less habitable.

4. What factors determine the habitability of a planet in the Castor system?

The habitability of a planet in the Castor system is determined by various factors, including its distance from its star, composition, atmosphere, and potential for liquid water. Other factors such as the presence of a magnetic field and the planet's tilt can also play a role in its habitability.

5. Is it possible for multiple planets in the Castor system to be habitable?

Yes, it is possible for multiple planets in the Castor system to be habitable. The habitable zone in a star system refers to the range of distances from the star where liquid water could potentially exist on a planet's surface. Therefore, it is possible for multiple planets in the Castor system to fall within this habitable zone and potentially be suitable for life.