Need help understanding a concept in Gyroscopes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gyroscopes and their ability to maintain a rigid platform when mounted with two perpendicular axes. The use of gyroscopes for creating a stable platform and their connection to the Earth's rotation is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a clarification on the principles and properties of gyroscopes.
ME101
So I've been trying to understand a concept in gyroscopes and I hope the guys and girls here can help me with it.

I first read it here, the part about mounting 2 gyroscopes with their axes at right angles to each other. It said that the platform will remain totally rigid.

I tried to consult a few of my teachers about this but none of them seemed to have an answer why. I've been searching online and the closest I came to finding something that relates is an old US patent No. US3398586. Fig 1 seems to be working around the same concept.

So does anyone here know why this happens? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No forces may be transformed by the gyroscopes, without causing precession. The platform with the two gyroscopes must therefore be free to rotate space, or mounted in gimbals on a vehicle.

One gyroscope can give you a single reference axis direction, relative to the stars. It takes a second gyroscope, with an axis that is not parallel with the first, to resolve another direction. Given those two axial directions you know platform orientation relative to the stars.

A vehicle can be made to remain stable by sensing vehicle orientation relative to the gyro platform and applying torque to the vehicle to correct the vehicle orientation.

Hi Baluncore and thank you for your response. I just want to know that if two gyroscopes with perpendicular axes are mounted on a platform that is in turn mounted on gimbals, will the platform maintain its orientation in space such that the gimbals rotate? If it does, why does that happen?

Yes, it will be stable, but only if it is precisely balanced, has no friction in the bearings and is operated in a vacuum.

It must obey principles of conservation of energy and momentum. Without some external force being applied there can be no change in orientation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope#Properties

It turns out that a gyroscope's frame of reference is the same as the stars. It is called a “gyroscope” because it was originally intended to demonstrate that the Earth rotates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope#History

1. What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a rotating device that is designed to maintain its orientation and resist changes in direction. It is commonly used in navigation, stabilization, and other applications that require an object to maintain a constant orientation.

2. How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope works by utilizing the principles of angular momentum and torque. As the gyroscope spins, it creates a force that opposes any outside forces acting on it. This allows it to maintain its orientation and resist changes in direction.

3. What are the main types of gyroscopes?

The main types of gyroscopes are mechanical gyroscopes, optical gyroscopes, and MEMS gyroscopes. Mechanical gyroscopes use spinning wheels or disks to maintain orientation, optical gyroscopes use light beams and interference patterns, and MEMS gyroscopes use microscopic vibrating elements.

4. What are some applications of gyroscopes?

Gyroscopes have a wide range of applications, including navigation systems in airplanes, ships, and spacecraft, image stabilization in cameras and drones, and motion control in video game controllers. They are also used in robotics, virtual reality technology, and many other devices.

5. How can I better understand gyroscopes?

To better understand gyroscopes, it is helpful to learn about the principles of angular momentum and torque, as well as the different types of gyroscopes and their applications. There are also many online resources and videos that demonstrate how gyroscopes work and how they are used in various devices.