How much will a steel plate bend?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the deflection of a simple steel plate under a given weight. The individual seeking help is having trouble finding information online and is looking for an equation to determine the deflection. The conversation includes a link to the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation and the mention of using simplified formulas for different beam profiles. The discussion also touches on the variables that affect deflection, such as loading, support, material, and orientation. Lastly, the conversation provides a formula for calculating deflection in a specific scenario.
jeff davis
Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to determine how much a simple steel plate will bend with "x" amount of weight on it. I have searched the internet looking for some good descriptive information for my studies and am having a hard time figuring it out. I understand that it is probably complicated, but if someone could please give me an equation and "dumb" it down for me i would be very appreciative. Say i had a 2x4 across 2 chairs and set a 30lb box on it. How much would it bend??
Please don't just answer the problem, i do not care what the answer is, i just am curious how to get it.

Thank you very much for your help again guys!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Jeff,

I haven't done such a calculation in ages as CAE programs give a far better detail and the math looks a lot like the below formulas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler-Bernoulli_beam_equation#Static_beam_equation

In engineering books you usually get simplified formulas for different Beam profiles and for really simple one this picture is what I have. Use the above link for explanations regarding E and I. "I" is usually found in metal profile tables.

An structural engineering book should suffice for more detailed things.

Attachments

• Bending stuff.jpg
    Bending stuff.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6,348
Likes 1 person
If your "plate" is only supported at the ends, it is acting like a beam, so you can use the beam formulas. From your description, the beam is simply supported at each end.

If the plate is supported along all its edges, that is a more complicated problem and there are only simple "formulas" for a few special cases of the applied loads.

The bending (deflection) of a plate or beam at a given point depends upon the loading, where it is applied, the support boundary conditions (clamped, pinned, free?), beam length, beam material (wood, steel?), beam cross section (square, rectangular, hollow tube?), beam orientation, etc. A 2x4 will deflect about 4 times more if it is placed on its side rather than its edge. There are many variables, requiring calculus (or tables!) for the solution. Plate deflection gets complex. For beams
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflection_(engineering [Broken])

For a 2 x4 piece of lumber across 2 chairs say 6 feet apart, the theoretical deflection in inches at mid point for a mid point load of 30 pounds is PL^3/48EI, where P = 30 lbs., L = 72 inches, E is young modulus for wood about 1.6 million psi, and I is its area moment of inertia bh^3/12 (depending on its orientation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for your help! I think that i grasp the basic idea now, and have been able to do a few calculations successfully!

1. How does the thickness of the steel plate affect its bending ability?

The thickness of a steel plate plays a significant role in its bending ability. Generally, the thicker the plate, the less it will bend. This is because thicker plates have a higher resistance to bending due to their increased stiffness.

2. What is the maximum amount a steel plate can bend without breaking?

The maximum amount a steel plate can bend without breaking is dependent on several factors such as the type of steel, its thickness, and the force applied. However, as a general rule, a steel plate should not be bent more than its thickness to avoid permanent deformation or failure.

3. Can the shape of the steel plate affect its bending ability?

Yes, the shape of a steel plate can affect its bending ability. A plate with a curved or angled shape will typically bend more easily than a flat plate due to the distribution of stress and strain. Additionally, the direction of the grain in the steel can also impact its bending ability.

4. What is the difference between elastic and plastic bending of a steel plate?

Elastic bending refers to the temporary deformation of a steel plate that can be reversed once the bending force is removed. On the other hand, plastic bending occurs when the plate is bent beyond its elastic limit, resulting in permanent deformation or even failure.

5. How can the bending ability of a steel plate be calculated?

The bending ability of a steel plate can be calculated using the plate's dimensions, material properties, and the applied bending force. This can be done using mathematical equations such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or through computer simulations using finite element analysis.