Undergrad degree in aerospace engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of getting accepted into undergraduate aerospace engineering programs in North America. One person shares their experience of needing to be in the top 13% of their state to get into their military academy in Canberra and their current course having a 92 percentile score. Others suggest looking into applying as an undecided major or attending a prestigious university like MIT or the University of Toronto. The conversation also mentions specific schools in Canada with aerospace engineering programs and the importance of getting good grades to open opportunities for graduate programs.
rocketboy
I was wondering who here went to university to do an undergrad degree in aerospace engineering, where you went and how difficult (ie grades, sat scores etc...) it was to get accepted? I've done my research on the various schools in North America that offer the program and some of them give a general average that is required, however I'm not sure how accurate this is, and I'd be interested in knowing what grades others had to get into various schools in North America.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I did a year of aerospace before switching to mechanical. They seem of a similar difficulty. I studied at our military academy in Canberra. I needed to be in the top 13% of the state (We don't have sats or whatever), which was actually pretty low. My current course had a score (percentile) of 92ish.

Sorry I can't help you with the North America bit.

I think it is going to depend the most on what school you are talking about, rather than the curriculum. Getting into MIT's aerospace engineering program will be light years tougher than say a state school's. There are other ways to go about it too. For instance, if you want to go to a school but don't have the grades, you could look into applying under an "undecided" major instead of an engineering major. It could be a bit more laxed on the admissions standards and give you the opportunity to get some lower classes under your belt before you apply to the department you want. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about applying 'undecided' before. It's not really that I'm afraid I won't get into an aerospace program somewhere, it's more that I want to know where to apply to without wasting money on applications. I don't want to apply to universities that aren't worth going to, and I also don't want to apply to universities that I have no chance of getting into, so I thought maybe if I heard from others it would give my a better idea of where I could get accepted.

Thanks,
-JB

Hi, Rocketboy.

Carleton University(CU) right there in Ottawa has an aerospace engineering program, so it might be the most convenient for you. And it has several ties with the CSA because it is there in Ottawa too. In fact, I know several students from CU who easily got summer jobs, internships, etc. with the CSA through CU.

Ryerson University in Toronto also has an aerospace engineering program. It is intended for people who want to work in the aerospace field, but not necessarily do Research & Development work.

In terms of academic excellence, the University of Toronto is the best in Canada. This program is intended to prepare people to do Research & Development work. I went through the Aerospace Engineering program there (within the division of Engineering Science: http://www.engsci.utoronto.ca/). It is extremely difficult to get in, you need well over a 90% average to get in. Once in, it is still a lot of work to stay there--half the students fail out in the first year. However, if you can make it through, you can go anywhere. The Engineering Science program has an excellent reputation, and MIT and Caltech readily accept Eng Sci grads to their graduate programs. In fact, several of my classmates were accepted to MIT and Caltech with full scholarships. Wherever you ultimately enroll for your undergraduate schooling, make sure you get good marks--then it opens MANY doors that would otherwise be closed to you.

Regards,

DuncanM
http://www.rocketscientists.ca/

DuncanM said:
Hi, Rocketboy.

Carleton University(CU) right there in Ottawa has an aerospace engineering program, so it might be the most convenient for you. And it has several ties with the CSA because it is there in Ottawa too. In fact, I know several students from CU who easily got summer jobs, internships, etc. with the CSA through CU.

Ryerson University in Toronto also has an aerospace engineering program. It is intended for people who want to work in the aerospace field, but not necessarily do Research & Development work.

In terms of academic excellence, the University of Toronto is the best in Canada. This program is intended to prepare people to do Research & Development work. I went through the Aerospace Engineering program there (within the division of Engineering Science: http://www.engsci.utoronto.ca/). It is extremely difficult to get in, you need well over a 90% average to get in. Once in, it is still a lot of work to stay there--half the students fail out in the first year. However, if you can make it through, you can go anywhere. The Engineering Science program has an excellent reputation, and MIT and Caltech readily accept Eng Sci grads to their graduate programs. In fact, several of my classmates were accepted to MIT and Caltech with full scholarships. Wherever you ultimately enroll for your undergraduate schooling, make sure you get good marks--then it opens MANY doors that would otherwise be closed to you.

Regards,

DuncanM
http://www.rocketscientists.ca/

Ya, I've been researching a lot on universities in Canada as well, and although many have told me Carleton has a good aerospace program (and is not too difficult to get into) I have been a bit skeptical about it because it's in Ottawa. Hehe, which is somewhat immature but I think it's normal for most high-school grads to want to leave town. I wold LOVE to go to U of T however I didn't do so hot in grade 11 and my average isn't quite 90's.

If I were to do really well in grade 12, say, over 90 average in all terms, would my lack of grade 11 marks prevent me from getting into UofT? This is a question that has been haunting me for some time now.

Thanks for all your help!
-Jon

You could always go to the best engineering school in Canada, University of Waterloo. They do not offer Aerospace Engineering, but they have a top notch Mechanical Engineering program which is very similar to aerospace engineering. You will need high marks to get in, but its not as crazy as Engineering Science at U of T. They have a high retension rate for students, unlike U of T.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
You could always go to the best engineering school in Canada, University of Waterloo. They do not offer Aerospace Engineering, but they have a top notch Mechanical Engineering program which is very similar to aerospace engineering. You will need high marks to get in, but its not as crazy as Engineering Science at U of T. They have a high retension rate for students, unlike U of T.

If I were to do a B.S. degree in Mech eng at Waterloo, what would grad schools think about me going into an aerospace grad program? I mean, wouldn't I be lacking some aero eng courses?

rocketboy said:
If I were to do a B.S. degree in Mech eng at Waterloo, what would grad schools think about me going into an aerospace grad program? I mean, wouldn't I be lacking some aero eng courses?

Graduate studies are not too much linked with the name of them. For example, one can get enrolled in a Ph.D. Aero eng. and research in materials engineering science with a guy aside who is graduate in mech. engineering. The topic of research is the main purpose of graduate studies, and such topic may be linked with common disciplines.

What is an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering?

An undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering is a four-year program that focuses on the design, development, and operation of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technology. It combines principles from both mechanical and electrical engineering, with a specific emphasis on aerospace systems.

What career opportunities are available with an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering?

Graduates with an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, aviation, space exploration, and research and development. They can work as design engineers, systems engineers, project managers, and research scientists, among others.

What skills are necessary for success in an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering?

To succeed in an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering, students should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, as well as a passion for aerospace technology.

What are the core courses in an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering?

Core courses in an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering typically include aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, materials, control systems, and flight mechanics. Students may also take courses in computer-aided design, thermodynamics, and space systems engineering.

Is an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering a good choice for me?

This depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. If you have a passion for aerospace technology and enjoy problem-solving and critical thinking, an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering may be a good fit for you. It can lead to a rewarding and challenging career in a rapidly advancing industry.